Thread: A mess of deceased Sylvilagus aquaticus.......

A mess of deceased Sylvilagus aquaticus.......

Common name, "swamp rabbits".....pretty good hunt today.....10 loud-mouth little beagles lit up Hobo Swamp, and really did a great job, today....crock pot is warming up, as I type.

image.jpg
    Last edited by Big Muddy; 02-18-2017 at 12:09 AM.
    Southern Gentleman

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    Nice bunch of rabbits!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

We shoulda had about 40, but the four old farts, hunting with me couldn't hit a bull in the butt with a two by four....oh wait, day'um, I was the oldest of the bunch....I missed my share, too.
    Last edited by Big Muddy; 02-18-2017 at 10:13 AM.
    Southern Gentleman

Looks like an awesome time. Rabbit hunting was the very first actual gun hunting I ever did as a kid. I even raised a few litters of beagles when I was about 14. I think I planned to only make a few thousand dollars in the beagle business. I'm not sure I ever broke even. But those bunrabs sure take me back to a lot of fun times!

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Yep, me too, Postie....well, actually, my first memory at about 5 years old was, carrying a single shot .410 squirrel hunting with my Dad....then, a couple of years later, I graduated up to an old 12 ga. for rabbit hunting.

Ha, I just remembered one of our squirrel hunts....I was walking about 10 ft. behind my Dad, when he stopped, and began looking up into the treetops....I happened to looked down, and right beside his feet there were two timber rattlers, stretched out side by side....they weren't coiled at all, and actually looked like two long tree branches.....totally shocked, all I could do was get out whisper to my Dad, and as he turned around, I pointed to the ground....he looked down, and in one giant leap, he seemed to hover about 3 ft. in the air, then landed about 6 ft. away from the snakes....with one shotgun blast, he blew off both their heads.

He cut off their rattlers....one had 11 rattlers, and the other had 9....I've still got them somewhere in one of my office drawers....that was in about 1954 or '55, and we've never seen another rattler, anywhere on the property, since then....copperheads and cottonmouths, on the other hand, are quite numerous.
    Last edited by Big Muddy; 02-18-2017 at 01:04 PM.
    Southern Gentleman

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) johnboy's Avatar
    A big part of my growing up was tagging along with my dad and uncles hunting bunnies. We had cottontails, snowshoes and European hares (introduced). Course, it was my job to clean all the game and shotguns when we got home. Gotta pay your dues.

Man that looks like a good day! Wish I could have been there to show y'all how to really miss...
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Ha, Cap, we got the missing down pat....sounded like a small war at times....but, you know you're welcome to come down, any time at all.
    Southern Gentleman

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar
    Haven't done that in a few years. My first gun hunting was rabbits too. Actually shot a few quail during those hunts too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."