Thread: Rain and ducks....

Rain and ducks....

My son, grandson, and friends sat in the pouring rain, this morning, just to shoot these 5 bootlips and a drake woodie.

Myself, however, sat in a nice warm deer stand with a space heater, and took several nice little naps....only saw 3 redbirds, a bluejay, and one old snaggle-toothed doe, who stood in the same place for about an hour....sorta reminded me of an old whore, waiting on the curb for her next trick.

(I'm sure that the naps reduced my chances of actually seeing any deer.)

IMG_0886.JPG
    Southern Gentleman

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    My late FIL, who taught (read: "Made") me how to deer hunt, used to say "If you really want to shoot a deer, learn how to take a good nap and when you wake up, one will be standing right out there in front of you"..........

He shunned all open spots. He hunted with a Ruger .44mag carbine, and usually shot about 30-40 yards. He killed some monsters.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

With the rain, hitting the roof of my deer stand, and my belly full of sausage biscuits and hot coffee, and the warmth of the space heater, a deer woulda had to literally climb up the ladder, and bit me on my balls to wake me up!!!
    Southern Gentleman

What is a bootlip?
    BKB

Spoon Bill or Spoonie or Shoveler or Paddle Bill or Boot Lip....pretty nasty names, but, prepared properly, they are pretty good eating.
    Southern Gentleman

Anybody that'd eat a diving duck is either Cajun, or Crazy, or Both..........
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

Well, I'm dayum sure not a frigging Cajun, so color me crazy!!!
    Southern Gentleman

That crayon is down to the nub, man.

Ooooooo, good one!!!!!....bite my bootlip!!!
    Southern Gentleman

We always called those Hollywoods, cause they are so flashy. I've killed a bunch think they were mallards.

BKB

Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    My son, grandson, and friends sat in the pouring rain, this morning, just to shoot these 5 bootlips and a drake woodie.

Myself, however, sat in a nice warm deer stand with a space heater, and took several nice little naps....only saw 3 redbirds, a bluejay, and one old snaggle-toothed doe, who stood in the same place for about an hour....sorta reminded me of an old whore, waiting on the curb for her next trick.

(I'm sure that the naps reduced my chances of actually seeing any deer.)

IMG_0886.JPG
    That's a gator full of awesome, right there. I really want to shoot at a duck before I die.
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) jb's Avatar
    Good time to hijack this thread, anyway, an old college roommate of #3 invited him to a three day all expense paid duck/goose hunt in MO. Odd thing about this hunt is it's in April, youse guys hunt ducks and geese in the spring?
    The older I get, the better I was. I also forget my password and have to have Len reset it for me

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Trav's Avatar
    JB,

The goose season runs until April down here but not ducks that I am aware of.
    “ No kingdom can be secured otherwise than by arming the people. The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave”

James Burg, An Enquiry into, Public Errors, Defects and Abuses 1775

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Bwana's Avatar
    Come on up Len. Last I checked there are a few ducks up this way if you look really hard.

My neighbor shot a hen spoonie last week- second to last dayof our season. Now that season is over- the birds started showing up!
    I've et some divers- taste fine. Not Cajun, or too crazy. I prefer eccentric.

You beez right, Hot....heck, a good duck gumbo isn't complete unless it's got all kinds of mystery meat in it....including bootlips, armadillo, blackbirds, crows, nutria, etc., etc.
    Southern Gentleman