Thread: Does Early Spring Temps Mean Early Spawn?

Does Early Spring Temps Mean Early Spawn?

There aren't many fishing trips that go by that I don't look at a spot on the water and either think or say out loud "Man, I'll bet this is a hot spot during the spawn". Now mind you, I don't typically step up my fishing during the spawn, I don't necessarily think that my best fishing results had much to do with it, and I kind of hesitate anyway to take a big old hen bass away from guarding her clutch of eggs. In short, I don't really target nests during the spawn. Sure I change my tactics but that more to do with Location than it does Presentation. All this to say, fishermen are fascinated by the spawn. I've read and heard more hot air on the topichan probably any other aspect of fishing.

So here's more.

What do you think triggers differentspecies of fish to spawn? And I do think different triggers are stronger in different species. I talked to a trout farm owner once who told me he forced two spawns a year from his trout by covering and uncovering his races to simulate the lengths of the days. I've seen bass spawning in January in a warm water discharge lake by a power plant. And I know walleyes seem to be more sensitive to light and length of day.

Anyway, the warm temps had Birddog and I talking about it a bit. The big bass we caught this week looked like they were stuffed with eggs. Either that or they've been eating well this winter. And its February. So go figure.

This could be an interesting fishing season.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    Most of our early/spring fishing is chasing anadromous species(perch, shad, herring, stripers) as they come up the rivers to spawn. My experience is that this is highly impacted by water temps. So, I do expect an early spawn if the temps stay as warm as they've been. Heck, I've got a Japanese cherry tree in my front (south facing) yard that's almost in full bloom and that's a month early for even an early bloom. My grandfather used to always say that if the shadbush if blooming, than the stripers are in the river. We shall see this year.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Haha, one of the old sawsaround here is that the crappies are on the banks spawning when the oak leaves are the size of a squirrel's ear. I forgot about that one.

BKb
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) HideHunter's Avatar
    Short answer - "Yes."... I know nothing of saltwater species but in freshwater/warm-water species (bass, bluegill and crappie) there are advocates for photoperiodism, moon phase and water temperatures. *Most* biologist lean toward 1.) water temperature (must be sustained long enough for the eggs to develop) 2.) Moon phase and then 3.) length of day.
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

Unheard of warm weather, down here....crappie are starting to move into the shallows.

Talked to a farmer, yesterday, running a big planter....I assumed he was talking about planting some early corn....nope, Group IV soybeans !!!
    Southern Gentleman