Thread: Hey Cap and other deplorable turkey hunters....

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hey Cap and other deplorable turkey hunters....

Our turkey season opens tomorrow, and I was really looking forward to trying out my new lease....we rarely ever have this cold weather for turkey season, but the wind chill is suppose to be 22 degrees and blustery north winds in the morning.

I hunted turkeys in Licking, Missouri several years ago, in the exact same type cold weather and wind, and never saw a feather for 3 straight days.

I just can't see fighting that kinda weather, again, when it's doubtful the tom's would even budge, even if they could hear me calling, over the dang wind.

I mean, even MY bedoinker gets stiff in a little cold weather, but at 22 degrees I'd think those tom's might wanna just snuggle up to a couple of hens, and stay warm.

Whatcha think???
    Last edited by Big Muddy; 03-14-2017 at 04:15 PM.
    Southern Gentleman

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Big Skyz's Avatar
    BM, I don't know what they do down there, but up here when it gets cold they go on a major feeding binge but usually try to find the easiest feed available that expends the least amount of energy to obtain. They key in on cattle feed lots and feeders (if feeders are legal and used in your area). The cold really zaps their metabolism and they have to eat more just to keep warm enough to survive. Up here if it's cold for a few days the turkey hunting doesn't get much easier. It's almost like going to the store and picking which bird you want because there is 100% they'll be on the feed lots.

That makes perfect sense, Sky....even though baiting isn't legal, down here, the landowner is a cattle rancher, so I guess I might just "happen upon" his feed troughs, and find a nearby tree to sit under.
    Southern Gentleman

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Bwana's Avatar
    If you've got cattle in the area, the turkeys will be on grain cleanup duty wherever there is cow dudy.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Bwana's Avatar
    P.S.
    Don't shoot a cow, that gets costly.

Ha, old tough cow meat isn't on my agenda....a nice young tender 200 lb. heifer is another matter ....nah, couldn't do that....this landowner is the type to shoot-on-sight.
    Southern Gentleman

Cap'n don't know nuttin' about turkey huntin'. Heck... he don't even LIKE it.
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

Quote Originally Posted by LJ3 View Post
    Cap'n don't know nuttin' about turkey huntin'. Heck... he don't even LIKE it.
    Yep....I heard that the buzzards and crows really come running, when he's yelping on his caller.
    Southern Gentleman

Bite me, I've killed more turkeys by accident than most people will ever see...
    They will still travel under those conditions In my area Muddy, but they usually Shut up and don't gobble.
    They also like to travel in open areas when it's bad windy because everything is moving around in the woods and they are major spooky this time of year.
    I've actually shot them in the snow in the mountains...
    Wish I had known I would have made the run out your way and called for you.
    In need to put tracks in the mud down your way anyway.
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Cap, that's exactly what I've observed, also....still don't know if I'm gonna fight with 'em, tomorrow, or just wait 'til it warms up a bit, and hunt 'em under normal spring weather conditions....to me, it's mostly about getting those bad boys to gobble back at me, and I just don't think they'll be vocal, in this weather....if I had known it was gonna turn into Christmas weather, I dang sure woulda called ya.....matter of fact, this is the coldest weather we've had all winter.
    Last edited by Big Muddy; 03-14-2017 at 07:36 PM.
    Southern Gentleman

Use a box call in high wind. It carries a lot better than a mouth call or slate.
    About the only chance you got to call them in the wind. Watch for them because more times than not they will come in quiet.
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Trav's Avatar
    Our season starts April 6th so we are a few weeks out.
    “ No kingdom can be secured otherwise than by arming the people. The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave”

James Burg, An Enquiry into, Public Errors, Defects and Abuses 1775

Cap, what I reallywant to know is how much is your calling fee! Lol!

Nothing for you Nandy. You got somewhere with birds????

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Nothing for you Nandy. You got somewhere with birds????
    Somehow, I just KNEW that was gonna be Cap's response.

(Nandy, tell him you know where there's tons of birds, living in somebody's backyard in Bumfokk, Egypt....I bet he'd say, "No problem, what's the address???)
    Southern Gentleman

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) HideHunter's Avatar
    11 degrees here this morning. there was on gobbling across the river.
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

Our turkeys don't gobble until it gets warm. Until then, they goggle. Do you have a goggler call Captain?

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Quote Originally Posted by BarryBobPosthole View Post
    Our turkeys don't gobble until it gets warm. Until then, they goggle. Do you have a goggler call Captain? BKB
    I think he loaned it to Sunny for those left-coast gogglers.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Cappy, I'm not sure I could make it happen. Either im at the job or I have my son with me. While at deer i just leave him in the car close enough so I can see him but turkey hunting is much too dynamic for me to leave him in the car. Only chance would be an evening hunt. Wife is not really willing to babysit for me so I can go hunting or fishing.