Thread: Finally.....turkey hunted the new lease, today.....

Finally.....turkey hunted the new lease, today.....

I had two young gobblers come running in to me, this afternoon, and let them both walk....they were young and dumb, with short beards....gonna go back in a couple of days to find their grand-pappy, hopefully.

Ran into the landowner earlier, before I hit the woods, and it musta been my lucky day....he showed me three more blocks of timber that he owns, and asked if I wanted to hunt them, also....well, duh!!!!!....of course, I said, "Heck, yeah, thank you!!!".

All toll, I've now got his permission to turkey hunt on about 1,000 acres, and the lease price can't be beat---Free!!!!....he's addicted to rabbit hunting, and has some jam-up beagles....I've let him hunt my place for the past 20 years, and he has become a great friend....I'm a lucky ole s.o.b., for sure.
    Southern Gentleman

Damn! We NEED to make plans to hunt together on that place next year.
    I got a pair of boots that need some Mississippi mud on em!
    Sound like an ideal set up!
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    Our season doesn't start for a couple of week still. Y'all are making me jealous.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Any fishing places in all that timber?

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Cap, the landowner lost his son to cancer recently, and he showed me a spot his son had fixed up to ambush the turkeys, and had killed tons of turkeys from there....it's an old feed shed in the middle of a cattle pasture....he cut a hole in the wall, and installed a makeshift window....he said I was welcome to use it, too....it's big enough for both you and me, if we suck in our guts.

tk.jpgtk2.jpg
    Southern Gentleman

Postie, there are deep 2-3 acre cattle ponds all over his place....all are stocked with bass, bream, and one larger pond has crappie and catfish....he said his brother owns a 60 acre lake, about 3 miles away from the hunting land, which I was welcome to fish, also.

When my kinfolks in Alabama sold off most of their hunting land to a timber company, last year, little did I realize that was a blessing in disguise for me....Bama was a 6 hour drive for me, and this new place is only about 1 hour's drive for me.

Somebody pinch me, 'cause I think I've died and gone to heaven !!!
    Southern Gentleman

Oh man, I think I felt a twinge in the loin area.

Ought to be ducks there too!

As you know very well, in this day and age access is everything. Its getting scarcer and scarcer.

BKb
    Viva Renaldo!

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    I hate Eddie. Unless of course he has access to private fishing holes in sw Arkansas that he could get me permission to fish in. In which case he would immediately become a prince among men
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"
    Albert Einstein

In can be there in a week or so.
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Cap, I already put you a 5 gal. bucket to sit on, inside that feed shed....if it ain't tall enough for you to look out the window, I'll bring a 55 gal. drum for you.
    Southern Gentleman

A true friend would provide a buddy heater.

BKb
    Viva Renaldo!

Quote Originally Posted by quercus alba View Post
    I hate Eddie. Unless of course he has access to private fishing holes in sw Arkansas that he could get me permission to fish in. In which case he would immediately become a prince among men
    QA, I've come to the conclusion that rabbit hunters are raging addicts, just like duck hunters....if you can find some old grass patch with a few rabbits, invite a landowner and a guy with some mangy dogs over for a hunt....he might just own some turkey woods to swap hunts with you.
    Southern Gentleman

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    I don't turkey hunt but I'm in serious need of some fishing waters.
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"
    Albert Einstein

Well, heck, drag yo' butt due east on Hiway 82 over to Lake Chicot....the crappie spawn is just turning on, in about a foot of water....that danged ole Bucksnort guy keeps promising to come down, but I'm pretty sure he's so nookie-whooped, he's never coming, so come over, if you'd like....if you like mudbugs, come by the lakehouse....my b-i-l is "suppose" to cook a 35 pound bag over there, sometime this weekend.
    Southern Gentleman