Thread: Who has a landline?

Who has a landline?

We've been thinking about getting rid of ours. But we've had this line since forever and everyone we know well knows that number. Plus,its kind of a safe haven for telemarketing calls. We put our landline number on almost all of our stuff that requires a telephone number and it really does help keep our mobiles tm free.
    None of our kids have a landline. They are rapidly becoming a thing of the past. Like colorful curmudgeons.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    I do. But, only because my Mrs. won't let me cancel it. I'm not sure why because she never answers it or checks the messages on it.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

The best I remember, ours rang 3 times in the last 2 months that we had it....and, 2 of those callers were trying to give me a cheap Caribbean cruise....got rid of it, and haven't missed it one bit, and put that $89 per month to good use....purchased a new John Deere zero-turn lawnmower.
    Southern Gentleman

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) HideHunter's Avatar
    We do.. in fact I have rotary dial still hanging on the kitchen wall.. We haven't really considered it because We've had the same number for 30 years +, I don't even know where my cell phone is half the time and the wife only turns hers on about 3-4 times a week.
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

I can pretty much say "ditto" for us P-hole. We've had the same land-line for close to 30 years. Any credit apps or whatever I have to add a phone number to, I usually enter the home phone. ANYBODY who knows us, knows our cell numbers.To be honest, I'm a bit of a dinosaur and have DSL for my internet service. I've had it since the day they put fiber optic lines into the neighborhood as it beat the heck out of dial-up! It works fine for anything I do on the computer and I figured, "why fix it if it ain't broken"? TBH, we never even answer the home phone. We probably check voicemail "maybe" a couple times/year. I do have an extension on my desk and if the home phone rings, I'll glance at the caller ID, but 99.999999% of the time it's a "sale's" call or someone wanting donations, etc. I have no clue what-so-ever when we've received a call on the home phone who was someone we actually wanted to talk to. Like you, it's a good filter as we have total control over who we give our cell numbers to ... VA, personal doctor, dentist, etc. It's a cryin' shame that unwanted telemarketer calls have made our home phone totally useless (other than for my DSL hook-up).
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

We do. Had the same number since 1977
    Never answer it. Do check messages. That's about it.
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Bwana's Avatar
    We JUST got rid of ours a short time ago against my better judgement.

I've been holding on to it because I know during certain circumstances, cell phones don't work so I kept it sort of as an insurance policy. My wife finally convinced me that anybody we would need, or want, to reach only have cell phones so what is the use? Have to admit, I'm still not comfortable with it but it probably made the most sense to get rid of it.

We have one. No phones are plugged in to it. It's cheaper to keep it than get rid of it since we get the Fios bundle.

All I need is a Russian stick and I'll cancel the whole damn thing!
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

Quote Originally Posted by Bwana View Post
    We JUST got rid of ours a short time ago against my better judgement.

I've been holding on to it because I know during certain circumstances, cell phones don't work so I kept it sort of as an insurance policy. My wife finally convinced me that anybody we would need, or want, to reach only have cell phones so what is the use? Have to admit, I'm still not comfortable with it but it probably made the most sense to get rid of it.
    Your thoughts and mine run along the same lines. I know a bit about how e911 works and while it gets better and better, without a landline calling 911 on a cell, the 911 center may or may not be able to pinpoint your location. Landlines are tied together. The industry has been working hard on it, but to say its universal is not true.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar
    We still do. We just use it randomly and just pay about $35 a month for it then an additional $10-15 for long distance access even though we never use it for long distance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    Due to the piss poor cell reception and the monopoly walnut hill telephone has on the internet service in this county, I don't have a lot of choice but to have one.
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"
    Albert Einstein

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) johnboy's Avatar
    Still do and will continue with it for the reason Bwana stated - cell phones won't work in an emergency situation power out and land lines will. Long shot that it will ever matter but I'm a 'belt and suspenders' kinda guy.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) airbud7's Avatar
    magicJack is the best fix Barry its cheap and keep your home phone number too...

Yep I have heard that of folks with MagicJack that are very happy. One of the reasonswe keep our landline is e911. Magic Jack has a 911 service but does not support e (enhanced) 911 services and is provided by a third party operator who then transfers you to a 911 center. At no time do they systematically know your ANI so they know who amd where you are.

That's not important to some, is very important to others. So its your call I guess (no pun intended!)

BKb
    Viva Renaldo!

I keep land line for when power goes out. 'Puter lines don't do squat then.

We have one that I bet has had 10 minutes of talk time on it in the last year
    Fios bundle... so it is what it is.
    Two things might change that. Well 3
    1) I'm getting a Russian tv stick
    2) I'm no longer under contract with Verizon
    3) we may be moving sometime this summer. At which point I will take the opportunity to research new interweb and cable services. (Probably Cox)