Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: An unpopular opinion, I'm sure

An unpopular opinion, I'm sure

Fuck that dude that got his ass beat on the United flight. You don't get to ignore federal law and defy them to do anything about it. I would have just tased his ass, though. Easier to fireman carry than drag his ass down the aisle.

Fuck him and fuck everyone else that thinks they're above the law. They say get off the plane, guess what the law requires you to do? Get the hell off the plane. Who you are and what you do for a living have no bearing at all. GTF off the plane.
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

I gotta agree with you LJ... As the rest of the story comes out I'm sure we will see that he isn't as innocent as the news media would lead us to believe. It wasn't United that beat his ass and drug him off the plane. And he was a doctor?! If he didn't want to get bumped he should have bought a first class ticket. Bet none of teh first class passengers were asked to give up a seat.... Just saying....

Yes, a beatdown is always necessary when confronting a bespectacled, surly Asian. Who knows when they might break out some chopsocky on your ass and you'll be the one bouncing down the aisle.
    I'll bet that's part of every air marshall's training.
    I mean he was warned by those cops how many times?

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) johnboy's Avatar
    I agree with you most of the time Lemster but not on this one. Absolutely no way was it reasonable to apply that much violence to get someone to give up a seat. I hope he takes them for bazillions. I've put a lot of time into flying over the last few weeks and airlines need a lesson in customer service. Fuckers.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) airbud7's Avatar
    Agree...Fuck that dude!.....When I say get off my plane i mean...>Get the fuck off my plane!!!

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    I've got a serious question. When someone willfully refuses to obey a lawfully given order by a LEO, what should the LEO do?
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"
    Albert Einstein

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) johnboy's Avatar
    Who says that it was a lawfull order? Contract law applies here and the airline was wrong.

Let's take it beyond this incident. Say step out of your car please, or don't reach in your pocket again, keep you hands where I can see them or any of a hundred other things. I hear a lot of complaints but very little in the line of solutions. The world is full of idiots and getting worse with the media throwing gas on the fire

Cappy, your imput would be appreciated
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"
    Albert Einstein

Well, I have mixed emotions, but that's persactly why I scrapped my career as a cop. I had to deal with people who "deserved" to have the shit beat out of them, but legally, it couldn't be done. Dao was a creep with a checkered history if all I've read is true. But, like Rodney King, who also had a checkered past, the "beating" was unjustified/illegal IMHO.

Where I'm a bit confused is, the way I understand it, the United employees could not convince him to get off the plane, so they summoned airport security and THEY were the one's who roughed him up. It seems the lawsuit should be aimed at Chicago O'Hare instead of United. This is going to cost United MUCH more than the payout they'll hand over to Dao ... their stock price is already tanking and potential future passengers are talking of boycotting the airline. It's a mess!
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Just some perspective, the man is a 69 year old doctor.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

He's also a 69 year old asshole (but again, that doesn't make the beating right, it just puts it in perspective a bit more). And yes he's a doctor .... with a suspended license and his excuse for not deplaning was that he had "patients" to see the next morning! After he was initially removed from the plane, he ran back through the gate and re-boarded, so they had to deal with him again!

Dao was arrested in 2003 as part of an undercover operation. Two years later, Dao was convicted on six (originally 95) felony counts of obtaining drugs by fraud and deceit and in 2005, he was sentenced to five years probation. Dao was also convicted for writing prescriptions and checks to a male patient in exchange for sexual favors. In February 2005, Dao surrendered his license to practice medicine in Kentucky.

The licensing records also reveal how Dao was “the subject of many complaints” while working at Hardin Memorial Hospital. The Medical Executive Committee there “took a strong stance in 2002, and put Dao on a corrective action plan due to his disruptive behavior” and referred him “for evaluation and anger management,” the papers say.

Still ... somebody's ass is grass once the attorneys get through with this little goldmine. Asshole or not, it was still lawfully wrong in the way it was handled.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Trav's Avatar
    I am with you LJ, when a LEO tells you to do something you do it. You can always seek some tyope of civil or criminal recourse later. As to contract law the contract of carriage you agree to when buying the ticket gives them the right revoke your ticket It's in the fine print as they say. Shitty, yes but still contractually allowed.

As an real life example I always buy two seats when I fly just to make sure both myself and any passenger next to me aren't squished together. A few months ago after being seated the flight attendant came by and asked me to trade seats so a young mother and child could sit together. I said no and she rushed off to get the head flight attendant, when she came to talk to me I explained that I had paid for both seats and by trading my seat that defeats the the whole point. She said she would go see what else could be done but she might have to come back. It worked out they didn't have to come back but if they had and demanded I move or get off the flight I would have gotten off. Now I would have raised hell about it with customer service and the DOT but it would have never gotten to the point that I would have made them physically remove me from the plane.
    Last edited by Trav; 04-14-2017 at 08:58 PM.
    “ No kingdom can be secured otherwise than by arming the people. The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave”

James Burg, An Enquiry into, Public Errors, Defects and Abuses 1775

Quote Originally Posted by Trav View Post
    I always buy two seats when I fly just to make sure both myself and any passenger next to me aren't squished together.
    Dang! I'd hate to see your travel expenses! Do they double your flyer miles when you travel?

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BarryBobPosthole View Post
    Just some perspective, the man is a 69 year old doctor.

BKB
    A doctor who had his license suspended for trading pain meds for sex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."

So let's trash the victim here. There is no excuse for that kind of policing. If you think its necessary to treat air passengers that way if they don't want to follow the airline'srules, then we'll just have to disagree.

BkB
    Viva Renaldo!

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Dang! I'd hate to see your travel expenses! Do they double your flyer miles when you travel?
    You know they don't double your miles and it's bull crap, I have had that argument with them as well.
    “ No kingdom can be secured otherwise than by arming the people. The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave”

You see a victim, I see a rabble rouser who had it coming. To be clear here he was treated that way for not obeying the Chicago Aviation Police. The airline asked him to deplane once he refused they called The Chicago Aviation Police which is a state certified law enforcement agency. At that points it's not any different that refusing to follow the commands of any police officer.

Viva Renaldo!

I'm not really sure why United is the main target. The way I understand it, United employees asked him numerous times to deplane and he refused, then became belligerent. United then contacted the Airport Police and THEY are the one's who roughed him up and dragged him off the plane. 100% of the complaints I've heard or read about are aimed at United. Am I missing something?

The truth, mainly.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

The truth, mainly.

BKB
    The truth that only the liberal inteligencia is privy to, us common folk couldn't possibly understand Thumper.

Shit disturber.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    I'm kind of with Len on this. Should United have better customer service? Hell, yes. But, he chose to ignore a lawful request from an LEO to get the hell off the plane and chose not to.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Yes, deny a request, get a beat down. We should make all cops judge jury and executioner. That'd make everything better.

Escalate!

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

He had to be removed from the seat as per regulations. How he left the seat was completely within his control and influence. Have you seen the video with the attendant practically begging him to give up the seat and telling him the cops were on the way?

Shoulda just tased his ass and been done with it.
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

Set the taser to stun Scottie
    Albert Einstein

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    I didn't see any kicking or punching done by the po-po. So, where's the beat down? Seriously, if you make them drag you out of a tight spot you're liable to get hurt. So, don't do that. Seems simple enough...
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

No CD, he's an innocent victim of unwarranted authoritarian brutality. I mean, he didn't want to get off the plane and he said that.

This is why I drink, people.

FFS.

They TOLD him what they would have to do if he didn't get off the plane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgieOw2120c

Shit disturber.

BKB
    Thanks for noticing