Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: An unpopular opinion, I'm sure

And on top of that, police deal with mentally ill people and mentally distraught people, all the time who aren't actively resisting without injury. Whatever happened to 'only use force as a last resort'? Isn't that the mantra of most police training in deals like this?

FYi, the plane being late is not an excuse for using 'the last resort'.

And FYi again, I support the police in almost every situation you can think of and I think its terrible for people not to. But this was fucking wrong.

BKb
    Viva Renaldo!

Yea, it was all the cops fault. The dumbass did nothing to start those wheels rolling. He was just sitting in His seat and the cops walked in the plane targeted him and whooped his ass... got it, he holds no responsibility to what happened to him.
    And I missed the rule that says after you get to be a certain age you can show your ass and do whatever you want and you are exempt from a asswhoopin.
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

And there you go saying I said shit I never said or ever even meant.
    Its the way you guys always argue shit.

Suit yourself. I'm done with this topic.
    BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Sure you did.
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    HOW WOULD YOU HAVE REMOVED HIM??
    for the eleventhteen time.
    Tickle fight!
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

I don't believe the injuries came from a "beating". The way I understand it, they were trying to remove him from his seat and as he resisted by hanging onto the armrest. When they pulled him out, he hit his face on the armrest and that's where the injuries came from. Some are making it sound like the cops Rodney King'd the idiot and pummeled him with nightsticks or sumpin'. It's easy to be a Monday Morning Quarterback.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Trav's Avatar
    Where is the popcorn eating emoji
    “ No kingdom can be secured otherwise than by arming the people. The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave”

James Burg, An Enquiry into, Public Errors, Defects and Abuses 1775

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) airbud7's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trav View Post
    Where is the popcorn eating emoji
    Last edited by airbud7; 04-18-2017 at 01:37 PM.

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    Sometimes these pics Airbud comes up with makes me glad there's a thousand miles between us
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"
    Albert Einstein

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) johnboy's Avatar
    This whole schmozle was and is about money. The airlines maximize their profits by overbooking seats and treating paying customers like crap when they run short. They play the odds that there will not be a problem and that people will act like sheep and 'do what they are told'. Pisses me off, frankly and I think it is past time that the carriers had to pay for THEIR fuckup. The odds just ran out. I don't care what the passenger did or didn't do, who he was or what his criminal background might be. All that is irrelevant. They abused him physically and mentally and they need to pay big time. I believe that will will also see a drastic change in the industry in how overbooked situations are handled (like the latest announcement from Delta). I guarantee that someone would have given up a seat for a couple grand.

There is a WHOLE bunch of assumptions in your opinion that are stated as fact.
    Don't want to fly commercially, buy your own plane.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Hombre's Avatar
    Johnboy - That may very well be true "its past time the airlines had to pay for their fuck-up" but that is really more in the court of public opinion. From a legal standpoint airlines have the authority to remove passengers from seats that are oversold, and customers have a federal obligation to obey crew members. In the court of public opinion there will definitely be a solid number of people who feel he was in the right, or at the very least excessive force was used. This will drive change, as you said above, but really only because it's far cheaper to have a policy and spend a little extra $$ than it is to have the public get in an uproar. There will also be a solid number of people that are in the "make stupid choices win stupid prizes" side. That's where I fall. Was it excessive, maybe, was it excessive enough for me to really care, no. I've made some pretty stupid decisions in my life. When I make stupid decisions I accept the consequences of those actions and move on.

It will be interesting to see who a jury believes (if it gets to a jury). I've got a buck to bet on it and I pay up on my bets but don't think I'll need to in this case.

Something may be 'legal' but that don't make it right.

I'm not disagreeing that he may see some money. Again easier to settle....just because he gets money doesn't prove wrong doing.

The flight was NOT overbooked. The flight was perfectly booked and full. THEN... United needed to fly some employees to another airport. True enough it's about money. United needed those employees to work a flight and make United some money. So they bumped off paying passengers for their employees they needed to get on the plane.

Shitty business practice? Yes. Fine print of ticket contract making this all completely on the up and up. Unfortunately, yes. Did the dude deserve to be injured? Not really. Was he injured because he refused to obey a lawful order? Yep.

See my original post a comment
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

I disagree on "did he deserve to be injured" he was asked to leave which he was legally required to do. He resisted, and left little choice but to yank him out. You've been down a plane isle there isn't much room. The authority has to worry about it escalating and other passengers so they yanked him off quickly and he got banged around, but really not that bad. He pretty much reaped the consequences of his actions and it was deserved.

I can't argue with that. I stand by my "tase his ass and fireman carry him off"

It all boils down to what I said on page two.
    "Rule #1 it ain't your plane, dumbass
    Rule #2 Police tell you you're going, the option of how is the only choice you have.
    Rule #3 If you screw up and make a bad decision on Rule #2, see Rule #1"