Thread: I went to an estate "pre-sale" today ...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I went to an estate "pre-sale" today ...

A guy I've gotten to know pretty well from different sales the past few years, invited my buddy and me to a "pre-sale" today. He only invited about 10 people and we got to skim the cream off the top (the official sale is this Fri-Sat). If nothing else, we had a good time. Picked up a nice Griswold lid for a Dutch Oven or skillet. It needs to be cleaned up, but doesn't look like it's ever been used. Grabbed a TON of tools (Snap-on) and a few vintage specialty tools, etc. The guy had a shit-load of pocket knives ... nothing serious, all low-buck stuff, but I can sell them in small lots and do okay. He must have had 60-70 knives. I just grabbed 20 of them for the heck of it and didn't even open them ... for all I know, half the blades are busted off. Dang, for $2 each, I couldn't pass 'em up. Barlow, Sabre, Imperial, Ranger, Colonial, Keen Kutter, a couple bottom-line Bucks and I think 6-7 Old Timers and Uncle Henrys. Like I said, nothing to get excited about. All-in-all, we had a good time and got a bunch of misc, "junque" to re-sell. I spent $95.00 ... but I should be able to at least triple that (or better).

I guess I'm in pretty tight with these estate sale folks now ... we went to another (different dealer) pre-sale yesterday also. His official sale is also this weekend. I didn't buy a whole lot and only spent $40, but just one old razor I dug out from the back of a bathroom drawer is worth an easy $150! I should be able to turn that $40 into $300 or so. These pre-sales aren't all that common, but it's nice to be invited if there is one. They're not advertised, just a handfull of people are personally invited, and it's a relaxed atmosphere with friends made through being a "regular". I have no complaints.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Sounds like a good way to rack up on some quality items without the pressure.
    Congrats on the finds.
    Maybe one day I'll come down and go with you on a sale...
    that would probably be a mistake, never mind.
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    You'd spend all your cash at the estate sale Cap, then kribbs would get both of you thrown in jail and Posthole would have to bail you out.
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by quercus alba View Post
    You'd spend all your cash at the estate sale Cap, then kribbs would get both of you thrown in jail and Posthole would have to bail you out.
    Probably true.
    But Posthole would just SAY he was sending bond money and their we would be....
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

I'd send the bond money, minus the dollar you owe me of course.

BKb
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    What, no oyster shuckers?
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Speaking of......I was wondering why you oyster shucker easterner stew eaters don't wear a kevlar glove while you're shucking those things. It works when you have to filet a whole bunch of fish or cleaning a deer that's chilled down to about 35 degrees.
    BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    It takes all the sport out of it.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Cause we ain't pussies.

And stabbing your palm with a oyster knife is like stabbing yourself with a phillips screwdriver......painful.

BKb
    Viva Renaldo!

Ha! Cappy, you don't need to GO to a sale ... you need to HAVE one!
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain