Thread: Hey youse guitar aficionados ....

Hey youse guitar aficionados ....

Gots some pics for an upcoming estate sale ... what am I looking at here?

The top one is a Fender strat and you can usually get into a new one for about a grand or so. that one looks to be in good shape. The bottom one is a Gibson, I think probably an L5 which is beautious piece of work. If it truly is an L 5, it might go in the 3-4 K range. It sure it purty.

Look at elderlyinstruments.com and you can probably get some comparable prices. They're about as good a price as you can find.

BKB

It sounds like they'd be out of my price range anyway unless no guitar lovers show up. I figured that was a Strat on top ... just don't know enough about them to know for sure. Bof'em sure do look nice though. I just went back to check them again and realized I'm a week off. Lynn's taking me to Hotlanta for 5 days on my birthday, so I was checking out the upcoming estate sales up that way. We'll be taking a couple day trips up to Scottsboro, Alabama to the Unclaimed Baggage Center, then hitting estate sales around Atlanta over the weekend. I screwed up ... this sale is THIS coming weekend ... we won't be there 'til NEXT weekend. Dang!

Well, after looking further, the headstock didn't look quite right on that bottom one. Its a d'angelico brand guitar and I know nothing about them. I did some searching though and here's a link to some of them.

http://www.gbase.com/gear/dangelico-...8-2009-reissue

I'm sure Len will pop in here and comment. He prolly knows.

BKB

Ha! It pays to be a puMPhEad SysOp ... I had to fix your link to get it to work.

Wow! $1600! Yep, that looks PERSACTLY like it. Nice looking guitar any way you look at it. Maybe Mr. Conine can go over and grab those puppies!

You might check on that Stratocaster. Depending on its history and shape it might be worth something. But you'd really have to know more than I know to know if its a great deal or not.

Some poor soul probably took a lot of pride in those guit-fiddles. and now his widow is selling his shit so she can go to the islands with the pool boy, Juan. Poor bastard.

BKB

You need to look at the headstock
    Of the strat. Could be worth
    10-15,000 depending on the model and where it was made.

BBP my brain did the same thing looking at the "Gibson"

I think it might be a knockoff of the L5. the fretboard is what fooled me. But the shape of the headstock and the pickguard made me go look again. Still, a purty axe.

BKB

Yeah, I think you're right. Which also leads me to assume the Strat is a jap strat. Cheaper materials, lighter wood, made by Japanese chirren.

I still LOVE the tone of the cheap ones, though. They weigh about half of what my strat weighs.

I gave my son a G&L Legacy for his 18th birthday and he never plays it. I'm thinking of repossessing it and spending some bucks on a Marshall just to plink around on. Nice guitar and plays very much like a Strat and designed by the master himself. I think I overshot it a bit when I got it for him but it belonged to a friend of mine who made me a helluva deal on it.

BKB

Sounds like you need to let that axe know its loved and appreciated!

I have deliberately avoided playing one in the store because I know myself well enough to know what will happen after that

My American deluxe standard (stupid model name, much?) will have to suffice. I still play her every week or so but she needs a TLC trip to a good luthier for some of the wear and tear over the last 30 years...

Shit, doing that math made me feel really old!

That a classic guitar there, Len. I think I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a new acoustic, I just don't know what yet. The Taylors are calling my name, but I think it may be another D28. Just love those.

BKB

Quote Originally Posted by LJ3 View Post
    Shit, doing that math made me feel really old!
    Don't look now, but you're getting VERY close to adding another year to that worn out old noggin of yours!

Just sayin'.