Thread: "F" you Murphy!

"F" you Murphy!

AND your stinkin' law!

Warning! Thump post follows:

Around 11:00 this morning I realized it's frigging HOT! I glance at the thermostat and it was 86 %}]^*+~> degrees in the house. There's air (warm) coming out of the vents, so I head for the back yard. The o/s unit is running, but the fan is blowing cool air out of the unit. Now I'm hoping it's just low on "cool juice". Hmmm, I take a closer look and it's not frozen up ... the condenser and lines are clear, so it's most likely not low on juice. Ok, as an a/c layman, I'm figuring the compressor is not working. Dammit!

So, the first thing that hits me is .... why do these things always happen on a weekend? Worse yet, a HOLIDAY weekend!!! Plus the temps are supposed to be low 90's all week. I pull out the ol' cell phone and give my a/c guy a call. He answers his cell phone and hears my cheery voice. The convo went something like this:

"Lance ol' buddy! Are you in the neighborhood by any chance?"

Hi Jim, no, I just arrived at Anna Maria Island Beach. The family and I are spending the holiday weekend here. What's up buddy?"

I (in my saddest, most distressed voice) told him of my problem and what I've observed so far. He says, hmmm, sounds like the compressor is not working! (Maybe I know more about a/c systems than I thought) He asked if I'd be home over the weekend and I told him we're going to the Miss Florida pageant tonight, but we'll be around after that. He then asked if I could possibly wait until tomorrow as they haven't even checked into the hotel yet.

I asked what tomorrow had to do with anything and he said he'd leave the wife and kids on the beach and drive back to fix me up. WTF? Dude, that's a 3-1/2 hour round trip with NO traffic! Not to mention, traffic around the beach areas will be fubar this weekend. He then said he should be here around noon.

Damn! I may have to buy him a 6-pack!
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) HideHunter's Avatar
    Wow.. Wow..
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

You need to go buy an old empty cable spool and an extension cord, and a window air conditioner. Set the a/c on the cable spool table, sit yourself down in front of it, and enjoy your summer.

BKb
    Viva Renaldo!

Wossie, no one in south Florida (the keys) has AC. And you are in the more north cool part. What's your issue?
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) airbud7's Avatar
    a fuse in the pull out has blown/ compressor needs both sides for 220v....condenser fan pulls off 1 leg (110v)

Edit: Did you really date a Thai girl that had a bigger dick than yours?....grapevine said so.
    Last edited by airbud7; 07-01-2017 at 09:57 PM.

What airbud said. Check your buss fuses. You may get a cheap fix.
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

Day'um, Thump, I just couldn't do that to the a/c guy, while he's relaxing with his family on the weekend...sheesh, a 3-1/2 hour roundtrip???....if you couldn't get by with some fans, until he got back in town, ya'll could always stay for free at Lynn's hotel for a couple of nights.

I gotta agree with Cap.....you're a woose!!!
    Southern Gentleman

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Penguin's Avatar
    Senor Murphy is one tough customer. Just be glad he hasn't looked over your roof or visited your garage.

Will

Why Chilly Willy you old dog you. Its great to see you post after so long! Catch us up on the latest!

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Well, look what the cat dragged in! Chilly Willy! Where have you been buddy? Bring us up to speed!

Edit: Well dang, I was writing the above when my a/c guy called. Looks like P-hole beat me to it by time I hung up and hit the send button.

Oh, back to you other dufes regarding the a/c, I don't even think I have fuses on each circuit (I've never seen 'em anyway), but all the circuit breakers are good. I'm HOPING it's just a capacitor. I've changed the one for my fan motor a dozen times, but I don't have a compressor capacitor layin' around. (and try to find parts on a 4th of July weekend). My buddy's van is a rolling parts department! I know I'm screwed if the compressor is bad, because obviously he won't have one, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed it's a simple fix. AND ... I'd never be a big enough jerk to insist he interrupt his vacation. Once he told me he was out of town, I asked if his partner was working the weekend. He's off doing his thing also. When I asked for a recommendation on who to call, he said if I ever called anyone else, he'd slap a knot on my head! He's a bit of a workaholic anyway and knows what CUSTOMER SERVICE used to be. Trust me, I tried talking him out of it, but he insisted. What'cha gonna do? He just called a few minutes ago and is just about to the south part of town (I'm on the north side). So it shouldn't be too long before I find out if we live or fry this weekend. (did ya' see what I did there?)

Ok, you tried to talk him outta it......mighty nice of you.....you still a woose.

So, I guess it's NOT, always as you say---"it's 79 degrees and always beautiful here, I'm sitting on the patio, watching scantily clad chicks in bikinis, jogging in front of the house, glancing my way and wanting my body."

Pretty sure they were thinking, "Hey, look at the old guy with 47 cats on his lap."

Seriously, bro, I hope your a/c gets fixed at minimum cost to you.
    Last edited by Big Muddy; 07-02-2017 at 11:54 AM.
    Southern Gentleman

Nope, there's a difference between living on the coast with that nice sea breeze ... I live inland with the poor people.

Growing up in Florida, we never even owned a house with a/c (until I'd already moved out on my own). Then I spent 3-plus years in beautiful S.E. Asia (HOT) living in a village with the locals (with no electricity or running water). One thing about getting old AND fat, ya' reach the point ya' kinda "need" a/c! The worst point is, if I'm hot, I don't sleep. I like keeping the bedroom like a meat-locker!

I now have COLD air pouring from my vents!!!! Luckily, as I suspected, it was a condenser and the compressor was fine. The dang condenser was the size of a frigging coffee can. He replaced it and I had him go ahead and do a full service while he was here (took about 2 lbs. of cool juice). I'm gonna take a cold shower, turn on the old flat screen and lay in bed for a while with the bedroom vent aimed right at my face! Heck, once I get cooled down, I may even get on my knees and beg my honey for a BJ!

Why do you want peanut butter and jelly???......ohhhhh, pardon me, I miss-read the initials.
    Southern Gentleman