Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Funny How Stuff Changes

Quote Originally Posted by BarryBobPosthole View Post
    I think I'd refer to it as 'Pat'.
    BKB
    Haha!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Why are y'all so against personal computers? (PC)
    They are full of fake news!

Quote Originally Posted by BarryBobPosthole View Post
    You mean like the Pollock space expedition to the sun? The one they're doing at night so it isn't so dang hot? BKB
    Well dang, you must have attended Bubba's spelling class!

Polack:

The noun Polack (/ˈpoʊlɑːk/ or /-læk/); in the contemporary English language, is an ethnic slur and a derogatory reference to a person of Polish descent.

1) It is an Anglicisation of the Polish masculine noun Polak, which denotes a Polish male or a person of Polish ethnicity and unspecified gender.

2) However, the English loanword "Polack" (note the spelling difference) is considered an ethnic slur in the United Kingdom and is therefore considered insulting in nearly all contemporary usages.

In the United States, the term is likewise a slur whose offensiveness varies widely by context.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

I was telling my oldest grandson about the cartoon characters I watched growing up, so we bought a package of Looney Toons on Amazon from the late 40's to the early 50's. That's actually what made me think of posting this thread. Talk about your basic history lesson in PC, watching those will make you realize how much things have changed in what's acceptable socially.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Anyone remember Amos & Andy? Odd, I've never seen re-runs on tv. I'd think that would REALLY be non-PC these days.

I can remember seeing some Amos and Andy episodes on TV but I don't remember anything about them. My Dad wasa big fan of some local radio guys named Lum and Abner. They were before my time but I remember my Dad and my uncles talking and laughing about them.
    BkB
    Viva Renaldo!

The PC thing is an artificial construct so that those who embrace it can somehow feel like they've changed for the better. Some even tout it as having evolved to a greater degree than someone that has no use for it.

Just another way to separate us all. Like we needed another method to divide us.
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

Quote Originally Posted by LJ3 View Post
    The PC thing is an artificial construct so that those who embrace it can somehow feel like they've changed for the better. Some even tout it as having evolved to a greater degree than someone that has no use for it.

Just another way to separate us all. Like we needed another method to divide us.
    Wow. Now there's an interesting concept. So what you're saying is that the social PC rules that prevent us from verbally disparaging one another's race are more divisive than the disparagements themselves.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

At least equally so.

And hey, when you lean in and tell an off color joke, are you not being inclusive to like minded people?

It's team building FFS!
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

We just had a huge sinkhole open up in St Pete. It swallowed a boat and a large house, including the yard and street in front of it. It's also starting to swallow the house next door and is growing bigger by the minute. The news folks have been calling it a "depression" all morning. WTF? We have bazillions of sinkholes down here and I've always heard them referred to as what they are ... sinkholes! I'm thinking, wtf, is the word "sinkhole" now banned by the PC Police for some unknown reason? Just a while ago, one of the newscasters made the announcement that the "depression" has now been deemed to be a "sinkhole"! Duh!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    That's offensive to everyone suffering from depression.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

But sinkhole might be offensive to all the lowly sinkhole bastards in the world.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!