Thread: Stupid, but entirely true.

Stupid, but entirely true.

http://www.foxnews.com/lifestyle/201...ays-study.html

This also works for fishing reels, shotguns, rifles, and fishng tackle. Tents, sleeping bags, and probably mostly today true about coolers. (I'm looking at you Trav)

I'm not guilty of this on a regular basis, at least I hope not, but I will admit that in search of value, I sometimes may confuse quality with price of stuff.

BKb
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    There's a reason why "price" is one of the four P's of marketing.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Penguin's Avatar
    I can believe it.

The first cousin of this might be the gas mileage that everyone seems to get with their pickups. It seems like I am the only one in my town who gets less that 25 mpg in a full sized truck. I remember this guy I used to work with told me that he got some outrageous mileage (like mid 20's) in his full sized Hemi Dodge Durango thing while hauling his boat back to Kentucky over I-64 (up-down-up-down etc.etc.etc.). I told him he was a damned deacon in the church and not to come around me throwing around that kind of bullshit.

Will

I learned the lesson many, many years ago. I was in the local grocery store around the time lower priced "store brand" items were becoming very common. I was in the isle when a store clerk was restocking shelves. He opened a box which was marked as their store brand fruit cocktail (they called the brand "plain wrap" back then), but it contained cans of Del Monte Fruit Cocktail. Oooops, mispackaged!

We purchase MANY store brand products and most times can't tell the difference between them and the name brands (most likely the same stuff with different labels). Admittedly, some items don't quite measure up, but for the most part, we have no problem with the lower priced store brands.

Regarding the wine test mentioned above ... Lynn is a huge fan of wine and always has a decent sized selection on hand. I personally don't care for wine, although I did put away a few bazillion bottles of Boone's Farm Strawberry Hill in my H/S days!

Anyway, she only buys lower priced wine and many times discovers some that are exceptional. I might add, she knows her wines and has even gone through training on wines when she was in the food business. For a while, she was going to Trader Joe's and buying their "2-Buck Chuck" ... although I think it's more than $2/bottle these days. Lately she's been buying box wine from Aldi and says it's pretty darn good. Granted, she does enjoy the heck out of a high-bucks, quality wine on special occassions, but for everyday wines, she has stumbled on some quality "cheap" wines and has no complaints.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Here's the deal about wines that pisses me off. just when you settle on one you like at a moderate price, they double the friggin price on you. My wife has always likoe Santa Magherita Pinot Grigio. When I first started buying it for her it was about $8 a bottle. It now $20. And that's in the space of a few years. Same thing with my favorite wine, chianti. I like Ruffino and not that long ago it was a reasonable $15 bottle for what is basically just a common table wine. Now its $30-35!

So now I just get an $8 20 oz draft beer with my steak. Or two.

BKb
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Penguin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BarryBobPosthole View Post
    So now I just get an $8 20 oz draft beer with my steak. Or two.
    I was going to suggest just that. As opposed to most store wines it actually tastes pretty good. :o

Will

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) johnboy's Avatar
    Wife and I have a bit of a contest to see who can buy the best cheap (less than $10 a bottle) wine. It's amazing how good some of it actually is. When we find a real deal, we stock up. Some not so good stuff also but pretty much all is drinkable.