Thread: If you are what you eat...

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar

If you are what you eat...

I may turn into a tomato. Love this time of year and had them for lunch and dinner. Tomato sandwich and caprese salad that were fresh picked this morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Trav's Avatar
    This is what I had for supper sans tomatoes IMG_0111.JPG
    “ No kingdom can be secured otherwise than by arming the people. The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave”

James Burg, An Enquiry into, Public Errors, Defects and Abuses 1775

Make a big ol' 'mater sammich for Cappy and see if he can be converted. Man, I loves me a 'mater sammich and those look like some dandies! What'cha gonna do with the scotch bonnets?
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

I would starve to death before I ate one of those nasty things.
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    Then I guess i'm fried okra, beef tips and rice, broccoli, carrots, Nathans hotdogs, apple crumble and a ham sandwich
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Make a big ol' 'mater sammich for Cappy and see if he can be converted. Man, I loves me a 'mater sammich and those look like some dandies! What'cha gonna do with the scotch bonnets?
    Depending on yield, I'll make hot sauce, habanero jelly and probably use some in Jamaican jerked chicken marinade. I've also got a Carolina Reaper and a Ghost pepper this year. They're not ripe yet, but I'm taking suggestions on what to do with those.

Man, I loves me some pepper jelly. Lynn makes a batch every once in a while. I "think" she makes it with apple jelly. (?)

I can put a pile that stuff away! I love it on a toasted English muffin.

I mostly use it either as a glaze for something like a pork roast or soften it up a bit and poor it over a block of cream cheese as a topper for crackers. Good stuff.

Just south of here, there's a huge produce market called "Donna's Produce #6".....named for the #6 child of the family.....I'll bet ole Thump knows exactly where it is on MS hiway 49 south, from his trucking days.....every time we pass thru there, we load up on all sorta pepper jellies, fruits, and veggies, and, of course, their boiled peanuts....from daylight to dark, every day of the week, they're boiling peanuts, non-stop, in their three 60 gal. kettles.....boiled peanuts are by far their biggest selling item, and there's usually a line of folks waiting for Jasper to start serving them up.

Btw, the homemade ice cream is to die for, as are the satsumas, when in season.

http://www.donnasproduce.com/

BoiledPeanuts.jpg

bags.jpg
    Last edited by Big Muddy; 08-21-2017 at 09:00 AM.
    Southern Gentleman

Ha ha! Yep, I know it well Mudward! Many times, I'd drop loads at the Nissan plant in Canton. Especially if I was headed home for a break, my dispatcher would often set me up with loads along 55 out of Memphis, and then over to 49, as she had regular stops in Florence, Mt. Olive, Hattiesburg, etc. Basically, I'd work my way down to 10 and head east for Florida. I'll guarandamntee ya', once I hit 49, if I passed Donna's during business hours, I'd stop for some homemade ice cream, then pick up a big ol' mess'o 'bowled' peanuts to take to the truck. SOMETIMES .... I'd even have some left-overs in my fridge by time I got home.

Satsumas?

Similar (or possibly the same as) Clementines. Man-o-man, when the "Cuties" are in season, we buy a bag almost weekly!

(Originally from China - hence ... Mandarin)

Cuties3lbBag.jpg

Gotcha, man we go through a lot of those here as well.

Satsumas have a long history.....one of my Cajun buddies worked on a sugar cane and rice farm in Houma, LA, which had a wild satsuma grove on it.....he still brings me some every year.....actually, the real satsumas come from the original fruit stock trees brought over by the Jesuits hundreds of years ago, and planted north of New Orleans......later on, Japanese brought more stock trees over, and planted them all along the gulf coast region from Florida to Texas.....that's about the only place in the U.S. that they can grow well.....the Cuties are good, too, but the satsumas are the cat's titty.....very rich and robust flavor.

Satsuma juice on the left, compared to regular orange juice.

Sat.jpg
    Last edited by Big Muddy; 08-21-2017 at 11:21 AM.
    Southern Gentleman