As I think I mentioned before, after 25 years of marriage I finally gave in to my wife's desire to go somewhere warm and sandy. Less than two weeks before that bitch Irma was born, we booked for a stay at St. John, (Insert the Hee Haw tune, "If it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all...), and then Irma passed directly over the island. Needless to say the place no longer looks ANYTHING like a tropical paradise and though I know they rely on tourism to make their living down there, I'm not real keen on taking my once-in-a-lifetime trip to an island that looks like the entire thing was sprayed with agent orange.

It appears as though we might have an "out" in that the place we have reservations for have offered us a full refund, so if we want to go elsewhere it would only be at the expense of switching our plane tickets, about $200 each.

If faced with the same situation would you keep your reservation and hope for the best or go elsewhere? If "elsewhere," where would that be?

I know, first-world problems and I would love to help those folks out, but this trip is a big deal for us so we want to make the most of it. FYI - going somewhere just to sit on the beach is NOT my thing so we were looking forward to the other things the island has to offer.

Thoughts?