Thread: Thailand is non-PC ... evidently racial profiling works

Thailand is non-PC ... evidently racial profiling works

52 arrested in crackdown as police focus on black migrants and tourists
    Breaking News October 16, 2017 09:15

Immigration, narcotics and 191 police jointly searched 10 locations in Bangkok early on Monday and arrested 52 Nigerians, Tanzanians and Uzbekistanis on various charges.

The operation was led by Pol Maj-General Surachat Hakpal, deputy commissioner of the Tourist Police Bureau. The searches were jointly launched by over 200 policemen from the Immigration Bureau, the Patrol and Special Operation (191) Division and the Narcotics Suppression Bureau. Two of those arrested were charged with unlawful entry to the kingdom, 11 with overstaying their visas and 27 with suspicion of being involved in drugs trafficking, Surachet said.

One of the suspects was charged with deceiving Thai women in a romance scam and another with smuggling a banned good. Surachet said police were keeping an eye on groups of black migrants and tourists because, he alleged, many of them had carried out various crimes in the kingdom, including using skimmer devices to clone ATM cards, money laundering and involvement in human and drug trafficking. Surachet said one of the arrested had been previously jailed and released for being in possession of cocaine. He would investigate why the suspect had not been deported.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Aren’t all those crimes pretty much what Thailand is famous for?

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Yep, and gay Thai trannies.....let's ask an expert on that subject.....who could we ask???.....oh, I know who !!!
    Southern Gentleman

Quote Originally Posted by BarryBobPosthole View Post
    Aren’t all those crimes pretty much what Thailand is famous for? BKB
    Ha! Yeah, but when it comes to the drugs, I no longer go down that road in Thailand. It's not worth the risk. When Prime Minister Thaksin was in power, he tightened the drug laws and promised to wipe out the drug trade within 90-days! (good luck with that!) He and his police force killed 3000 people within the first 3-months, then decided to continue the campaign for another year or so. Depending on the circumstances and assuming you lived through the "arrest", the sentence could be life in prison or the death penalty. The main problem was, half (literally) of those killed had nothing to do with drugs! If a neighbor was pissed off at you, or if you owed somebody money and wouldn't pay, all anyone had to do is report you as a drug trafficker, dealer, user, whatever. They were called black-lists (more of a hit-list really) and the law would be paying you a visit ... which many times turned out to be fatal whether you were involved with drugs or not!

Thaksin was eventually exiled due to corruption and some shady business dealings. BUT, his SISTER was "voted" into office to replace him. Now she's also on the run for much of the same crap and was smuggled out of the country before she could be arrested. Like brother, like sister I suppose.

So, the Interior Minister (Yubamrung) took over where Thaksin left off. Here's one of his quotes:

"... For drug dealers, if they do not want to die, they had better quit staying on that road... drugs suppression in my time as Interior Minister will follow the approach of [former Prime Minister] Thaksin. If that will lead to 3,000-4,000 deaths of those who break the law, then so be it. That has to be done ... For those of you from the opposition party, I will say you care more about human rights than drug problems in Thailand."

Sounds like profiling is the least of their concerns.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

I'd have to agree with you there!

Actually, they loosened SOME of the laws a bit last year and the new law took affect the first of this year I believe. The reason? The prisons are busting at the seams! They have the 8th largest incarceration rate in the world (they're #4 in the world for the number of women imprisoned). Needless to say, when there, I don't party the way I did "back in the day".