Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: He wins..

NASCAR starts up next month! and that'll be one of the best races of the year!

BKB

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    Since you discredit me, and my attempt to have a discussion on this subject, I will allow Hank to be my spokesman on this subject to you and all concerned. It appears he shares my views, best I can tell, and you seem to be willing to have a discussion with him without name calling.

Hank, you have it. I'm out.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

So... the three of us can hammer it out

Over a nice ribeye, perhaps?
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

We mustn't forget the beverage though.

BKB

How many of those 11K deaths are gang and/or drug related?
    How many of them are in Chicago and other locals that forbid gun ownership?
    Don't Israel and Switzerland have real assault weapons in nearly every home? OK I'm pretty sure they are military reservists, but you get my point.

Why is it a, to quote the Vice Pres, "Big Fuggin' Deal" when a madman shoots up a theater, or a school room....but it's just "workplace violence" when an Army officer opens fire on his fellow unarmed soldiers? That's an inconsistency I cannot understand....and food for a whole nuther thread.

Maybe we could start with things like Deppity Dawg spoke about....putting felons in jail instead of letting them walk?

Not to bash the police (local or federal), but they do seem to let a lot of shit go...while concentrating on other "stuff". BBP, you have first hand knowledge of this from when your truck got broken into. I can only guess their workload is astounding vs the manpower they have. God bless those willing to work in law enforcement, its a job I certainly could not handle.

Maybe its because the courts are too busy?
    Maybe its because the jails are too full?
    I seriously doubt its because there are not enough Krispy Kreme outlets.

There seems to be a lot more violence in the "inner city"....or in "big towns" in general. Why is that? I don't know. When there's a murder around my little burg...and it DOES happen from time to time, it is front page news. I do know that back when I lived on the north side of A-town, I almost always carried when I left the house....now that I live in the boonies I rarely do.

(OH! I figgered I'd get a rise out of BBP with that old BF quote. )
    My "disability" does not make me "disabled".

Cancer Sucks!
    http://www.mdanderson.org

Well, EXACTLY. I'm not sure if it's ATF, FBI, or whatever, but in those situations like DD described, the ATF ought to be staffed and accountable for following up and prosecuting those cases where people illegally obtain firearms. It has to be a priority, not just in legislation, but in how we manage our day to day law enforcement. And we have to close the loopholes and enforce the whole access to firearms by bad guys issue. By the way, I don't believe in gun registration at all. I see no beneficial effect on law enforcement by simply knowing who all possesses a firearm. enforcement needs to be at the entry point.

and Niner, you're one of the few who used that BF quote correctly. I believe he was, in fact referring to arms too, since I think when he made that quote it was about indian attacks in western PA at the time. Unless I'm mistaken, which I obviously am quite often.

and to answer your other question, I think they don't work those cases because they aren't a priority. If we want to do something about our gun crime, we need to make it a priority.

BKB

[SIZE=7]HEY!!
    Isn't this our first four pager on the new site????
    [/SIZE]

Cancer Sucks!

It's seven on my phone.

7 on my google browser. I think niner may be lung deep in some medical weed
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

Prolly cause I have my settings tuned for 20 per page.

Cancer Sucks!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar
    The biggest problem is that the Prosecutors don't prosecute. Every one of them is able to decide what they will and will not prosecute. So I can arrest a whole bunch of people on various types of crimes, but if the local Prosecutor decides for what ever reason he doesn't want to prosecute the offender, the charges go away.

A prime example of this is David Gregory of NBC and the 30 round magazine he used as a prop on Meet the Press. It is illegal to possess a large capacity magazine in DC, but yet he does on national TV and the Prosecutor decides not to file charges.

Another example on a different crime, a few years back, the video gambling machines were a big thing in bars, restaurants, convenience stores in this area. The Prosecutor in my county was all for tracking them down and prosecuting the owners of the businesses for illegal gambling. The problem was that there are two towns in my county that stradle the county line. The Prosecutor in that other county, didn't think it was a big deal and would not prosecute anyone for having the machines and did nothing about them. There was a big outcry because in both of those towns, it just decided which side of town you were on whether or not if was "legal" for you to have them. The businesses that were in my county had to remove the machines and claimed that they lost business to the ones across town that happened to be in the other county that were allowed to remain. In one case it was two bars that we right across the street which is the county line from each other.

The biggest thing is that they all make themselve imune from any civil liability for doing or not doing their jobs, unlike the police officers who do the hands on work. My biggest complaint is that the police are always blamed for not doing anything about certain crimes or being told that we shouldn't be stopping speeders because we should be arresting drug dealers or child molesters or other "real" criminals. What I always tell people is that I did my job when did a complete investigation and made an arrest. If the Prosecutor of Judge drops charges or gives them a light sentence, it's not my fault, blame them. Any by the way, they are both elected, so if you don't like what happened, don't vote for them the next time.
    "Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    Clearly, DD, this is the very problem even at the Federal Level. While we argue which laws we should and shouldn't pass, they aren't prosecuting any now. And they won't.

Biden to NRA: We ‘don’t have the time’ to prosecute gun buyers who lie on background

During the National Rifle Association’s meeting with Vice President Joe Biden and the White House gun violence task force, the vice president said the Obama administration does not have the time to fully enforce existing gun laws.

Jim Baker, the NRA representative present at the meeting, recalled the vice president’s words during an interview : “And to your point, Mr. Baker, regarding the lack of prosecutions on lying on Form 4473s, we simply don’t have the time or manpower to prosecute everybody who lies on a form, that checks a wrong box, that answers a question inaccurately.”

Submitting false information on an ATF Form 4473 — required for the necessary background check to obtain a firearm — is a felony punishable by up to ten years in prison, depending on prior convictions and a judge’s discretion, according to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

Baker, the NRA’s director of federal affairs, told TheDC that he was given five minutes to present the NRA’s concerns and the approach the group saw as being the most effective to prevent another massacre like the Newtown, Conn. shooting. During those five minutes, he said, he mentioned the need to prosecute existing gun laws.

He pointed to the low number of prosecutions for information falsification and the relatively low felony prosecution rate for gun crimes.

Biden was apparently unmoved by Baker’s concern.

In 2010, prosecutors considered just 22 cases of information falsification, according to a 2012 report to the Department of Justice by the Regional Justice Information Service. Forty additional background-check cases ended up before prosecutors for reasons related to unlawful gun possession.

In all, prosecutors pursued just 44 of those 62 cases. More than 72,600 applications were denied on the basis of a background check.

“We think it is problematic when the administration takes lightly the prosecutions under existing gun laws and yet does not seem to have a problem promoting a whole host of other gun laws,” Baker told TheDC.

“If we are not going to enforce the laws that are on the books, it not only engenders disrespect for the law but it makes law-abiding gun owners wonder why we are going through this exercise we are going through now,” he added.

Gun prosecutions in 2011 were down 35 percent from the previous administration’s peak in 2004, according to Justice Department data compiled by the Transactional Records Access Clearinghouse at Syracuse University.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

WE NEED THIS.

We also need laws to keep alcoholics from getting booze, fat people from getting too much food, perverts from looking at nekkid wimmins, the asians from driving, rap music, toyotas, reality tv and well, whatever else I deem that I don't think is proper according to my whimsical mood at the moment. BTW, I am exempt from these laws of course.
    A man gets one great horse and one great dog in his life, a damn lucky man might get two.