Thread: Catch a Big Fish and then...

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Big Skyz's Avatar

Catch a Big Fish and then...

Saturday was pretty good fishing. Not great, but not bad either. We had to work a lot harder for each fish and lost some pretty sizey fish, but that all part of it. Man, I sure wish I was down on the river fishing today instead of being stuck in this classroom. I need to take a day off!!!

Here is a tanker rainbow.

Then I got this skinney but really pretty brown that most fisherman would be more than happy to catch.

Right after catching the brown in the photo above my fishing partner for the day upstages me with this brown. For the area it's a very good fish. Mike is over 6 foot and right around 300 pounds. So if the fish still looks good next to him, it is a very good fish!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) johnboy's Avatar
    You sure catch some beautiful fish! That last one looks different than an average brown. Almost like an Atlantic salmon (colour and head shape). Do you see hybrids there? Curious.

nice fish!!

Johnboy, nope no hybrids with the browns. We do see the occasional rainbow trout/cutthroat trout (cutbow) but not in this river system.

Beautiful fishes !!!!.....btw, really like your buddy's camo parka.....never seen that pattern.....what's it called ???
    Southern Gentleman

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar
    Those sure are nice looking fish. I’d love to get into some of those some day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    If those were bass or pickerel, the ugly would outshine the fish. However, trout will cover a multitude of fugly

Thankfully
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"
    Albert Einstein

BM, it's Sitka Gear and their pattern for their clothing line. Once you see the cost of Sitka Gear you will likely not want it that much $$$! The only way I can afford their stuff is when it's on close out or end of the year sales. It's crazy expensive.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    It’s wild how different those two browns look. Is it partially lighting? Or, was the coloring really that different?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    I'm planning on going up to Murfreesboro this spring and fishing for trout. Except they won't be but about 6-8 inches long. I'll long arm them and they'll look like a ten inch fish.
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"
    Albert Einstein

Chicken dinner they are that different, it's not the lighting.
    Here is one of my same fishing partner, on the same river, with a similar sized brown. They really have quite the variation of color sometimes.

Even the rainbows vary in color quite a bit. We catch some that are so silver they look like a salmon. The odd thing though is we get a lot that are super dark. They hardly even look like rainbow trout they are so dark. They are the darkest rainbows I have seen anywhere. See below:

This one my daughter caught looks like it could be the father to the one I'm holding. It was quite a bit bigger than mine, but the same dark color and head shape.
    Last edited by Big Skyz; 11-14-2017 at 10:25 AM.

The silvery looking brown your buddy is holding appears to be a stocker where all the rest are natives. At least going by the adipose fin rule that looks to be it. I wonder if the stocker strain has anything to do with color? Do they release any big browns there or just fingerlngs?

BkB
    Viva Renaldo!

The last time the river was stocked with brown trout was 1998, it has been self sustaining since then. So all those browns in the photos are from natural reproduction within the river, rather than a hatchery.

I can see the fin now. Just had to blow it up to see it.

BKb
    Viva Renaldo!