Thread: New vehicles

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) johnboy's Avatar

New vehicles

We plan on selling the rv trailer this spring and really won't need the Super Duty any longer. A great truck but a little big as a daily driver/grocery getter. Anyway, been looking around for a mid-size suv as a replacement and am finding it difficult to find a vehicle I want to buy.

All or at least most have features that I just do not want, such as:

- displacement on demand (shutting down cylinder banks)
    - auto start/stop (who thought this was a good idea?)
    - pushbutton Start/Stop button
    - rotary gear selector
    - direct injection, especially with a turbo
    - I4 turbo

and a bunch more annoying crap.

Is it just me?

I can’t live withouta pickup. If I was in your shoes I’d look at a Tacoma or otherdecent midsize club cab. There are some really good ones out there. I see a lot of Nissan Frontiers around here and they look solid. The Tacoma just has a longer/better track record though.

My wife loved her Pathfinder when she had it and her 4runner now. If you buy a hybrid like a Highlander or Murano I don’t think you’ll be happy. Just do this when you’re looking: Have the pull the crossover or hybrid or whatever they’re calling them these days, and park it next to the true SUV like the Pathfinder or 4runner. You’ll see the difference immediately.

BKb
    Viva Renaldo!

I know what you mean. We've had a pickmeup truck in the stable since forever but I won't be towing or hauling anything so figured a decent sized suv would fill the bill. Besides, She Who Must Be Obeyed doesn't want another truck so that's that.

Our last experience with Toyota wasn't all that happy so I've been shying away from them but I really need to look closely at a 4Runner. As one of the last (or maybe the last) truck based suv it's kind of an anachronism - like me. Doesn't look like they load them up with all the nanny crap like every other new vehicle out there which I appreciate.

My current F150 truck lease runs out in about 30 days, and if I can rob a money tree, this bad boy might just follow me home.....2018 F150 Lariat---Shadow Black---Platinum Package.

f150 platinum.jpg
    Southern Gentleman

Nice truck. Eco boost or 5.0?

3.5 Eco.....my son just got an F150 with that engine, and I drove his.....it will make your nose bleed when you punch the gas pedal, and gets about 23 mpg.
    Southern Gentleman

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    How are the older Eco-boosts holding up? I’m very intrigued by the combination of power and efficiency.

4Runner was the first thing that came to my mind based on your description. I drove one for about 12 years and loved it. The only reason I didn’t buy another was I wanted a pickup and bought a Tundra. Another option is a Subaru Outback Wagon. (Don’t laugh!). My wife had one on a two year lease and I was pretty impressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

The Gen 1 Ecoboost had some issues (class action lawsuit) that seem to have been resolved with the Gen 2 (both direct and port injection, for example). I'm actually looking at a new Expedition with that engine. Kinda big but it's a maybe. Was also interested in an Explorer but that's still running the Gen 1 EB engine so I would go with the old 3.5l non-turbo.

Looked at Subaru but they just don't work for me.

I've never been much of a GM guy, but wifey just HAD to have a GMC Acadia...I only drive it to church and trips, but to be honest, I love the dang thing.....tons of leg room, great gas mileage for it's size(24mpg), and, all the bells/whistles.....3 yr. lease is only about $400/month.
    Southern Gentleman

Is that like the GMC version of the Tahoe? We had a ‘97 Suburban that I really enjoyed driving tbh.

I love the smell of new paint.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Yep, it is pretty much similiar to the Tahoe.....Tahoe has an 8 cyl. compared to the 6 cyl. in the Acadia, which prolly accounts for a few more bucks for the Tahoe.
    Southern Gentleman

Looked at a Tahoe last week. Then I walked away. They run upper 60’s MSRP!

My only issue with my burb was my wife couldn’t make right turns in it. Had to get the right rear quarter repaired twice in four years.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Her's or the Tahoe's ???
    Southern Gentleman

Took Herself to look at a 4Runner yesterday. Moving up the list, fer sure.