Thread: Trip Report

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Hombre's Avatar

Trip Report

Last March I took Cade to his hunter's safety course, and in May we went Turkey hunting (that's another story) during that trip we saw lots of birds, but never were lucky enough to pull something in, he never got to pull a trigger.

This weekend I got him out and we really had some luck, well the second day we did, the first day was a guided / planted hunt. I generally don't enjoy planted birds but I will say I'm a fan when you have a brand new hunter and your really concentrating on safety and muzzle control.

Now for the trip report. We got up early Saturday morning and headed out for the Cook Hunting Club. Its about 1 1/2 hour drive and I have to say it was one of the highlights of my trip. Nearly the entire trip we talked one on one with the conversation ranging from his sports, school, or what direction he really wants to go in life. It seems that in today's world its hard to get that one on one time and the conversations really change when it's just dad or just mom versus both. The trip was off to a good start for me anyway.

Later that day we pulled into the hunting club and met our guide who advised we'd would work behind a German Wired hair (Zeek). All the people at the club were great and we headed out. I let them know that Cade was a new hunter and I'd be giving him first shot on the 10 birds that were put out.

As we headed out Zeek is working back and forth and goes on point.

1st Bird: Gets up and flies around some scrub brush giving Cade no shot. Boom, I shoot it thinking dang I really wanted to get him that shot but we have 9 left.

2nd Bird: Gets up and I'm waiting on the shot. I wait, I wait, I wait its getting out of range and I shoot it. Cade had trouble with the safety. I'd chosen a Franchi over/under for him and the thing about the saftey is it needs to be all the way left or right then up. We went through that, again and headed off.

3rd Bird: Bird gets up and he gets a shot off missing.

4th Bird: This one is a new hunter mistake, someone forgot to reload and as the bird gets up click no shell.

5th Bird: Boom, Cade gets his first pheasant

From then on Cade shot the next 3 without missing and in total we were able to go 10/10 on the birds. It was a great start to the trip.

20180106_135102.jpg

20180106_144123.jpg

From there we headed over to Moses lake about 45 minutes away for a guided coffin Goose hunt. We woke up around 5:30AM and it was around 28 degrees. We got a little to eat and met our guide who gave us the general overview and safety talk. After hitting the field we helped unload all the decoys and set up the coffin blinds. You can get an idea of the blinds from this picture

26755069_1772833049688570_623591983_n.jpg

We hunted for 6 hours and ended up with around 10 birds, one of which I'm sure Cade shot it could have been two. I would say out of the 10 birds almost all of them were shot in a one hour period, we had lots of geese around us but later in the day had some trouble getting them to come in.

20180107_131917.jpg

I asked Cade at the end what he liked better the Pheasant or Goose hunting and he said the Goose. I was kinda disappointed because I'm really more of an upland guy but when I asked him why he said "Well I like the pheasant but it didn't really feel like hunting because they placed the birds we knew they were going to be there, the goose hunt felt more like hunting we were surprised when they came in" I get that.

Looks like the kind of day you’ve been looking forward to since he was born!

Nice going, Boh. If you need a fishing guide when the time comes, I’m your man.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    Awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Man that looks like a good time! Congrats to you both.
    Before anyone else says it, do you have Bwana sisters number?

Also Posthole is a acceptable fishing guide as long as you don’t assign him the boat plug duty...
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Man that looks like a good time! Congrats to you both.
    Before anyone else says it, do you have Bwana sisters number?

Also Posthole is a acceptable fishing guide as long as you don’t assign him the boat plug duty...
    Thats the job of the first mate!

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

I'd be honored to have Posty show Cade a thing or two about fishing, probably learn a thing or two more also. That being said I'll warn him before hand not to bet with Posty cuz its a lose / lose situation.

Nice shooting! I’d love to pheasant hunt some day

Great report! Congrats to Cade AND dad! One thing though, like Cappy suggested, PLEASE contact Bwana's sister. I have a neck ache!
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

That sounds like a blast!
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Bwana's Avatar
    Nothing better than hunting with your kids.

Congrats to your son on some mighty fine shooting and for his insight on hunting. You did well Dad.

Thanks guys it was a great time. One commitment I've made to myself this year is I'm going to get out more, and have more 1/1 time with Cade. I travel quite a bit, and work quite a bit but I've decided no matter how much I just want to take a weekend and relax I'm going to get out and spend that time with him. There's a very short amount of time left.