Thread: Remember these ?????.....

Remember these ?????.....

At Fort Benning, I spent five nights in one of these old pup tents.....it rained constantly the entire time, and even with the drainage ditch we dug around it, there was still 4 inches of water inside the tent.....my buddy had all he could take, and went to sick call.....I stuck it out, by sleeping on top of some old logs I gathered up and put inside the tent, but at the end of the week, I had developed strep throat.

pup.jpg
    Southern Gentleman

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    Never slept in a pup tent but we had a 30 man tent we used for a deer camp. Might get 30 anorexic smidgets in it if you stacked them two deep. Leaked like a sieve. I used to tell the other guys "boys, I've got a good looking woman waiting in my bed, I'll see you in the morning."

I might have been dumb but I wasn't stupid
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"
    Albert Einstein

I went to the field twice a year, sometimes three, for a month at a time. We stayed in ten man tents with big old kerosene heaters that sounded like a jet engine. And cots! And a shower tent! And a chow tent! And best of all a beer tent! You foot soldiers had it tough!

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

I was in Basic in Ft. Leonard Wood, Mo. from late Nov. - early January. Had to hike 1-1/2 hours up a frigging mountain after a full day of heavy training, so we were totally exhausted when we finally broke for camp. We set up, my buddy and I got the tent pitched and guttered and the temp was dropping FAST. After mess, we were about to freeze, then the DI hollered, “Ok you bunch’a damn pussies, strip to your skivvies and hit the sack!”

Damn it was cold! We got all settled in, totally exhausted. About the time everybody was asleep and reasonably comfortable, the DI’s came running through hollering at us to break camp because it was in the teens and too cold to remain on bivouac (supposedly some military rule for recruits).

Then they informed us it was too cold for the deuces to pick us up (yeah right) as they couldn’t get up the mountain, so we need to pack it up and hike back to the post.

BTW, our class was block allocated for ‘Nam. After the “camping” experience, my buddy and I were talking about ‘Nam and he asked me what would be the first thing I would do if he was shot in the field in ‘Nam? I told him I’d grab his f’ing shelter half and get the “F” out’ta there! He then bounced an empty beer can off’a my noggin!

KMAG YOYO!

BKb
    Viva Renaldo!

Daddy joined the Air Force ..... 😉