Thread: Hello The Camp!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Big Skyz's Avatar

Hello The Camp!

Took a little hiatus from the site, but now I am back, and hard after the fishing. Had a stupid head cold that slowed me down for a couple weeks, but it's gone now. My oldest daughter just got home from serving a mission for our church and I haven't seen her for 19 months. She will be leaving for college within a few days so we tried to make the most of the few weeks I have her home before she leaves again. It was a really productive couple of days and a ton of fun. Even if the fishing hadn't been good, spending time with her is priceless to me.

First up she caught this jumbo perch. Note that her elbows are bent and not stretched all the way out toward the camera. This really is a nice fish!

We only fished in the morning as we both had other obligations in the afternoon, but it was a very good morning.

Then just this past Saturday we headed out for a little open water on the Missouri River to try our luck. On her first cast my daughter hooked this really pretty colored rainbow.

The fishing gods smiled on me a little as well. This is about as pretty and clean as a rainbow trout can look. She was pretty girthy for a river fish.

Not to be outdone my daughter landed this over sized mountain whitefish. That makes to bigger than usual whitefish from this same area as I caught a pretty big one there back around Thanksgiving. All in all it was a couple of really fun days. I didn't post photos of all the fish we caught, but there are enough here to represent the good time we had. I love my daughter and I love Montana!!!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    You’re a lucky man to have daughters that value the outdoors the way yours do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Love those smiles! Enjoy those younguns all you can!

Glad you’re back. I was just fixin to call you out to make sure you hadn’t been et by a wolf and shat off a cliff.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Man that is a great report. Y’all sure live in a great wildlife rich place.
    Not sure I could handle the winters but it sure looks like you have it figured out.
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Why is that pretty girl wearing that Alabammy hat forsooth?

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

BKB, a large part of her time spent on her mission was in Alabama. In fact more than half of it was in Alabama. The last quarter was in Pensacola Florida.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Penguin's Avatar
    Wow! That is a nice perch.... could fit 3/4 of the ones I've caught in the belly of that one.

Looks like fun buddy. Good to see.

Will

Nice trip report and awesome fish as usual

Dang! We were in Pensacola for 3 days about 3 weeks ago. Ya' should have called me. I could have taken her out in the Gulf to let her show me how to fish! You're a cool dad and have made memories she'll never forget.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

I'm not going to lie, I missed her dearly while she was on her mission. I'm going to miss her when she leaves for Utah to attend college later this week. However, it's nice to have her much closer and I can call her anytime. Plus we usually make a trip or to down to Utah each summer to visit family and friends. I wouldn't be surprised if my wife and I end up moving back to Utah within a few years. I love Montana and always will, but if most of my kids end up in Utah (which also where both my wife and I's parents live) I will go where my family is.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Penguin's Avatar
    Can't blame you there Troy. And let's be honest, Utah ain't exactly an also ran for an outdoorsman either. From what I can tell both are chock full of very good stuff to do, albeit sizeable differences too.

Will

Penguin, Utah is not my favorite place, but my favorite people all live there (meaning my family). There is some good fishing there. The hunting can be very good as well but one has to be extremely lucky as the best places are all limited draw units. I figure if I move back I will just immerse myself in my family and fishing and pretty much try to avoid crowds for the remainder of my days.

On a side note, my daughter is heading to college today and it is definitely a bitter-sweet day for me. I want her to succeed and I completely support her in her decision to head out on her own. However, she has always been Daddy's girl and we have always been close. I'm having a hard time letting go, but I won't tell her that as I want her to concentrate on the things she needs to take care of. Frankly this whole adulating thing is depressing sometimes, but blue skies and better days are ahead.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Bwana's Avatar
    I feel for you Troy and do not look forward to the day when my little girl wanders off on her own life adventures.

That being said, I've met your daughter a couple of times and you don't have anything to fear, as she is a smart young lady who obviously loves her daddy. She will never be far from you.

Thanks Bwana. I should've probably taken the day off and went fishing instead of coming to work. At least that way I could have got in some good meditation time

I can relate to the wonderfulness of having a daughter for a fishing buddy. It's hard watching them go off on their own. I got nuttin' to offer that helps. After 4 years of it, it still sucks
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.