Thread: More guitar stuff

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) johnboy's Avatar

More guitar stuff

So what do you guit boys think of Dick Dale?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIvfVyyqTDI

Been listening to him a long time and don't think he gets the respect he deserves.

Here's the more popular (boring) rendition:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZD1n7RqQPI
    Last edited by johnboy; 01-31-2018 at 01:36 AM.

Dick Dale is a badass! I saw him live years and years ago. That boy can tear up a strat! There's some old footage of him jamming with Stevie Ray out there. He also plays the guitar upside down which is just crazy.
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

Upside down and backwards. Great stories of Leo Fender trying to come up with an amp and speaker set that Dickie couldn't blow up. Check out his website:
    http://www.dickdale.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56SAxtf-RTg Pipeline! Gotta love the hair.

He plays it upside down because he’s left handed. Jimi Hendrix was left handed and used to restring his guitars until he played with Albert King who was also left-handed and played his guitar upside down. Jimi started doing the same thing.

I was gonna let you slide Jimmy but apparently I'm too petty to! Jimi's Dad is the one that forced him to play that way. He was actually fluent in both styles of left handed playing.

Everyone knows lefties are freaks of nature anyway. Ask Posthole!
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

Well, I know he was good at playing no matter which way his guitar was facing and was comfortable with either style. IMO he was prolly the best guitar player ever. I'm not sure where I got the Al King story. I'm a huge blues fan, so i'm sure I picked it up along the way.

BTW, I met Jimi one night in Jac .... naaa, I was just messin' with ya' so all the b/s accusers could chime in. Actually, I was dating a gal who went to school in Jackson, Tennessee (Lambuth College). I was a Freshman at UT and she was a Junior at Lambuth. I drove to Jackson one night to take her out and we ended up in one of our favorite "parking spots" to swap spit and play stink-finger. Anyway, the spot overlooked the runway at the Jackson Airport where we could sit and watch the planes take off and land. This particular night, all hell broke loose all of a sudden. About a bazillion emergency vehicles started scattering all around the runway! We watched as a private jet landed and all the emergency vehicles took off chasing it. It was obvious it was an emergency landing, but it all went down with no incident. I think it was the next day we heard the news that it was Jimi Hendrix's plane! I really can't remember the reason for the emergency landing, but things could have gone bad in a split second. Jackson was NOT their planned destination, but they had to get 'er down at the closest airport they could find.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

There’s a new kid on the block now. Gary Clark Jr is his name. Give him a listen. His cover of Jimmy Reed’s “Bright Lights, Big City” is where I’d start.

Oh, and I like Jimi too.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

I'll check him out once things get back to semi-normal around here. The more I think about the airport deal, it's possible the emergency landing may have been drug related instead of an issue with the plane itself. I know he was pretty heavy into the drugs at that point. In fact, I believe it happened just a matter of weeks before he died.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Maybe he just needed some ribs.

BKb
    Viva Renaldo!

I like Gary Clark. Don’t really love him. His guitar tone isn’t my cup of tea. Too muddy and blurry sounding if that makes any sense. He cranks all the higher end out of it and muffles his time somehow.

I’ll see myself out.

I agree with Len. I like a cleaner tone than that. "Muddy" describes it.

What’s weird is he plays Gibson es335 and es355 mainly and those are designed for that cutting tone that he muddies up. I think he just cranks all the tone knobs down to -11. Opposite of spinal tap

I guess y’all must hate Stevie Ray and Johnny Lang then, both fuzzy pickers at times.

Haters.

BkB
    Viva Renaldo!

Fuzz is different than muddy, to me. But nobody hears shit the same way. Of that I’m certain!

Those guys play on the neck pickup a lot but the high end strat tone is there for me. I’m a self confessed fender snob. Full disclosure.