Thread: Ready for spring

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Penguin's Avatar

Ready for spring

Not complaining mind you.

But the driveway is getting a bit rutted. The wood pile is in good shape but I tore the yard up something fierce getting it into the house and the woodshed. We're getting toward the middle of February and I am ready to get the seeds into the solo cups and start prepping for the spring.

Although we had a few very cold weeks up here and we've had a good bit of snow it has been more of a sloppy freeze/thaw/snow/rain winter than anything else. Time for spring to start peeking around the corner and put a period on this winter. Hell, if things break right I might even get a chance to go after the gobblers when the season opens.

Will

I have the bug too. 60 today and 65 tomorrow before the big chill sets in again this weekend. That’s enough of a break though for me to get cold frames built and some seeds started!
    I started my chores list already and I’m ready to get ready for spring, if that makes sense.
    BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Makes perfect sense to me Posty.

Have you got a good garden plot? If so I am jealous. The place has a garden plot on it but hasn't been worked in several years. You know what kind of mess that makes for.

Do you compost any? I was thinking of putting up a compost bin like we had when I was a kid.

Will

When I was out at Captain’s Dec of ‘16 he gave me five of those big plastic containers that mineral feed for cattle come in. I drilled a bunch of holes in them and added some latches to two of them and made a composter that is easy peasy to just tump on it’s side, roll it around a bit and then stand back up on its other end. Voila, the compost is turned over easy peasy. I drilled holes in the other three and use them with an open top and dump them into an empty one to mix it once in a while.
    I also have an old composter made out of old tires that works well.
    My garden plot is small and does okay. I think if I could get my neighbor to cut down a couple of dog shit smelling bradfords I’d get more sunshine on it and it’d do better. My issue is soil temp mainly, thusthe cold frame project.

So yep, I’m into making ng compost!

BKb
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    Nothing says spring in WVa like ramp season!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Posty: Hmmm. I might have to look into that. I really want to get the composter up and running this year. I'm not really a big fan of using fertilizer too much. But this year we'll have to just get things ready for next season. I'll be honest, I don't want a garden that turns into a full time job. We inherited a good sized asparagus patch so that is something good out of the gate.

Hank my place has one of the damnedest ramp patches you've ever seen. Absolutely huge. Been there since I was a kid and it has grown huge over the years. I might have a big ramp dinner at my place this spring.

Will

RAMPS!!! Yuk!
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

I have spent the last few evening making lists of shit to do outside once it gets warm. The older I get, I get serious depression somewhere around week 5 of winter.

I’ll be looking for my invite. Ill be down near Warm Springs Mountain fishing some this spring.

You're more than welcome anytime Hank. That's a bit under 2 hours from my place. Been through Covington on 64 a lot of times but never turned north and headed up to Warm Springs that I can remember.

Will

Given how those mountain roads are, that might only be 20-30miles as the crow flies. Still, a bit far even for some ramps.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) airbud7's Avatar
    just hang on fellas.... spring is around the corner

Last edited by airbud7; 02-09-2018 at 07:17 PM.

That right there is funny, AB!