My issue with looking at mental health screening as a solution is what happens when some person comes backs home from a military conflict and is diagnosed with PTSD, what happens to them and their rights as citizens? And there are plenty more examples. Do we exempt people with all forms of autism? Bipolar? And many more. There’s just too much grey area in looking to a solution there.
And part of the problem is our support of the 2nd Amendment (including me) has prevented us from doing ANYTHiNG. I tend to agree with the ‘antis’ that doing nothing is no longer an acceptable solution. We’ve even cut off funding to research the damn problem. So it looks to me like we’re faced with regulations that go much further than we ever thought. I believe an assault weapons ban is coming. And our stubborn defensiveness to any reasonable solution is probably the reason for it.

My personal opinion is we have to look into this and identify small steps and measurements towards a solution. And some of those steps might be to allow states to experiment with their own regulations to see if it affects results. Those steps might be in direct conflict with the second amendment as most of us here interpret it.

BkB