Thread: 6000th Day Anniversary

6000th Day Anniversary

We’ve (the USofA) been fighting a war in Afghanistan now for 6000 days as of today. It’s the longest war in US history. That’s a long time. We have almost 16,000 soldiers there right here and now. We’ve lost 2200 of our own and spent over trillion dollars there to date.

Can anyone articulate what our goals are in the Afghan War? What is our finish line? We are currently increasing our presence there to about 18,000.

The media barely acknowledges we’re there in such force.

BKB

https://taskandpurpose.com/afghanist...s-spring-2018/
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    We should have left the day after we popped Bin Laden. The whole country isn’t worth a bucket of warm spit, much less the amount of lives and treasure we’ve lost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Kinda my thinking too. I think we went in there in the first place because the Taliban wouldn’t turn him over to us.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    And we laughed because Russia couldn't whip a bunch of goat herders
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"
    Albert Einstein

I don’t think its a matter of not whipping them. I think its a matter of not knowing when we’ve done what we came for. What’s left forus to realistically accomplish? Turn Afghanistan into Nebraska?

BKb
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar
    I think the problem is, what do you owe to the country who had a somewhat stable, albeit oppressive, government in place until we came in and drove them out of power? Do we have to stay until a stable government is in place, or can we just walk away and leave the mess we made without cleaning it up?

"Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."

Wiki the country and look at their governmental history. Pretty crazy.

We did what we needed to do a long time ago. If they want to continue. the current democracy, that’s up to them.

Time to boogie!

KMAG YOYO

BKb
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Hombre's Avatar
    Three things on this war:

1) I agree there never was a clear objective.

2) Gun Control: It's an interesting discussion every time gun control comes up and someone says " Oh you're going to keep your AR-15 to protect yourself against tomahawks and tanks" Well ya seems to work!

3) I'm not sure we have the stomach to win a war anymore, we play by the "rules"

We’ve actually won the combat part in Afghanistan. We just don’t know when or how to quit it seems.

And you know, the second we’re out of there, the terror geoups are right back in there.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Penguin's Avatar
    Interesting. This is one I would love to have a discussion on over a beer or two with you guys.

Hombre I think there is an element of playing by the rules that does come into play.... especially when you are fighting a war where your security and survival as a nation is not in peril. They are called "wars of choice" or "wars of aggression". If you go back and read up on the Nuremberg Trials you will find that we hanged a whole bunch of nazis after WW2 for this very crime by the way.

But anyhow if a nation is up against the wall they can use tactics and methods that they wouldn't otherwise. And there is a limit to what our populace will tolerate as far as methods go as well. Maybe we should put a short leash on those who keep wanting to escalate and invade nations where the rest of us cannot see a good reason why we should do so? I have to agree with hank here. These people aren't worth it.

I think the mask is coming off of the people who keep initiating and cheerleading these invasions. If you ask me, the fact that they have neutered Trump to where he cannot even attempt to patch up our relations with Russia because of this idiotic Russia-elections meddling nonsense tells you all about their motives. It is all about money and we'd all be a hell of a lot better off if we cut the budget of the NSA and the CIA and the FBI by about 75% or so. These people actually committed real, provable crimes in the last election. And there ain't a snowball's chance in hell that one single one of them will go to jail.

Will

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    Don’t worry. POTUS threatened to send troops into Syria yesterday to distract us from this Russia nonsense.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) johnboy's Avatar
    There has been a war in Afghanistan since Alexander moved through there in 327 BC and probably long before that. Not one of the 'conquering' armies has ever really succeeded in changing anything so I don't think that the latest excursion by the US of A will be any different. It's a good place to stay away from, IMHO.

Genghis Khan actually ruled it as part of his empire pretty successfully. There was a rebellion in one region but he killed every last one of the men in that tribe and enslaved all of the women. He didn’t mess around, Genghis.

But I think you are right. If the people there wanted it another way it’d be another way. As it is, they’ve had a golden opportunity. I predict when we leave there, with a year there will be another refugee crisis this time at the Pakistan border.

BkB
    Viva Renaldo!