Thread: I'm curious

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master

I'm curious

and thought I'd get the opinion of some knowledgeable gentlemen, and some of you dufes too.

Almost every day there's a new sexual assault allegation in the news particularly athletes and politicians. What I'm curious about is this, are the majority of these cases fake simply trying to get attention and money or....... are there that many stupid arrogant men in prominent positions. Or does being in a prominent position cause these fools to think they're above the law? Is the laws interpretation of sexual assault too strict?

Not to make light of a serious issue, here are a few of my thoughts

1) The interpretation of the law is too broad. Since the beginning of time women have had to deal with unwelcome advances and in most cases they learn at a very young age how to do this. Copping a feel or propositioning a woman is not gentlemanly but it's hardly criminal.

2) Bad sex gone worse. I think a lot of it is consensual at first that goes south for any number of reasons. Still not a criminal offense.

3) Digging for gold. Screw a celebrity, yell assault, watch bank account grow or get your name in the paper

4) Spite. He dumps you, payback is a bitch. ( literally)

5) Date rape drugs. If you can't get laid without a ruffy, you need to call the 1-800 -THUMP hotline to get some information on Rosey Palm. Definitely criminal and should be dealt with as if it were forcible rape.

6) I feel very strongly about forcible rape. It should carry a death sentence as far as I'm concerned. If it happens to my wife/DIL/granddaughter it is a death sentence.

I feel that the majority of the sexual assault cases fall into category 1-4. Every time i see that someone is crying sexual assault I automatically think of three words "Duke lacrosse team". I shouldn't be so dismissive about such a potentially serious issue but a lot of innocent men have been ruined this way. Unfortunately, people don't let facts get in the way of there agenda. Once again, think Duke lacrosse team

what do you fellers think?
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"
    Albert Einstein

I just had a ct and I think it made me smarter. We’ll see.

IMO there’s probably a bit of each of your categories going on. I do think more women are coming forward about it though. I knew several executives in my career who dipped their wick quite often, and more times than not their power and position likely made it difficult for the women to say no. OTOH, much of my career was in the 80’s and 90’s and at least at the companies I worked for almost every company ‘function’ there was a ton of free alcohol and sex was typically there for the taking if you were interested. I made it a policy not to shit where I eat’ but I must admit to a few moments of weakness. In that regard I think we have to take a lot of this in the context of the times it occurred. Having worked in the 2000’s for 14 years I can say too that the corporate culture changed significantly. Companies cracked down mainly because of liability issues.
    Anyone who uses their position or power to obtain sex is a predator IMO. A shark, so to speak. I always considered myself just a horny dolphin.

BkB
    Viva Renaldo!

I had a long Thump post written out, but it started making me feel "uncomfortable" in a lot of ways ... and I ended up deleting it.

I just spent the past hour re-writing a response, and I just deleted it also.

After two attempts, I think I'll bow out of this discussion. Let's just say, for the most part, I agree with a lot of what P-hole wrote.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

I just knew that ct made me smarter!

Better looking too!

BKb
    Viva Renaldo!

Quote Originally Posted by BarryBobPosthole View Post
    I just had a ct and I think it made me smarter. We’ll see.

IMO there’s probably a bit of each of your categories going on. I do think more women are coming forward about it though. I knew several executives in my career who dipped their wick quite often, and more times than not their power and position likely made it difficult for the women to say no. OTOH, much of my career was in the 80’s and 90’s and at least at the companies I worked for almost every company ‘function’ there was a ton of free alcohol and sex was typically there for the taking if you were interested. I made it a policy not to shit where I eat’ but I must admit to a few moments of weakness. In that regard I think we have to take a lot of this in the context of the times it occurred. Having worked in the 2000’s for 14 years I can say too that the corporate culture changed significantly. Companies cracked down mainly because of liability issues.
    Anyone who uses their position or power to obtain sex is a predator IMO. A shark, so to speak. I always considered myself just a horny dolphin.

BkB
    This.... from a man who met, and undoubtedly shagged his future wife at his place of bidness

I've seen plenty of the slimy lecherous executive types who made a big habit of harassing and pressuring wimmin to accept their unwanted advances. Those are the types that should be shot out of a cannon in to the unemployment line. That said, the pendulum has swung WAAAAYYY too far in the wrong direction on this and is being abused in my opinion. Hitting on you is something any human should be able to move past without being butthurt about it.
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    I think your Ct has made Len smarter too but missed the better looking part
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"
    Albert Einstein

I just knew that ct made me smarter! Better looking too! BKb

Well, that's not much of a revelation ... I see no way in hell it could'a gone the other way. When you're at rock-bottom to begin with, what way is there but up?
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    I will say this. People’s behavior never ceases to amaze me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

I have always considered getting hit on a big compliment.

Hitting on someone (who is not under your power or influence) is not harrassment if you accept the answer given.

BKb
    Viva Renaldo!

Better looking too!

BKb
    It's gonna make your dick fall off, too.
    Southern Gentleman

it didn’t fall off. it just looks like it did.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Musta got caught up in the excitement of pi day.....3.14 inches.
    Southern Gentleman

I measure in metric. That’s a full 8 cm!

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Better looking too!

BKb
    For a horny bearded dolphin, you’re not bad. I’ll give you that.

I either, A) get in on these discussions too late, 5) have no real thoughts of my own, or h) agree with you all too much.

My opinion is very similar to Len and the Horny Dolphin. I've only been in the real workforce since 2002. I had a job 5 years before that but not really. So I don't have the old 70's and 80's to compare too. I have direct reports, and I have compliments under them. I remember when I took the position I'm in now in 2007 my old boss being realllllly specific on, "If you dip your pen in the company ink well, you better make sure you didn't force the lid open". He didn't say that in those words - but close. My point is, our company policy at that time was similar to what posty said. "It's ok to make a propisition if you accept the answer". Hell I even remember training on it. Shit, I can think of 3 couples today in my company that have been realigned so they don't report to one another, because they met at work, one worked for the other, and life happened.

Back to your question, I'll repeat more of the same. The whole thing has gotten way over exaggerated in my opinion. Yeah, there's a little, or maybe a lot of all of your points in each circumstance that we hear about on the news. However, I really don't think anyone besides Cosby has been seriously layin' the juice on women. All the high profile cases that have been on TV (besides a couple of course), IMO, are either bitter, jealous, or see $$ signs.

I'll sum it up by saying my pen has been in it's holder since day one, which was 7/11/97 (the day I got married). I'm not saying that to brag, to displace guilt or blame, nor to be non-complicit in a public forum. Just saying it so you know it's from a complete "outside looking in" point of view.

QA - I also like your line of "rape is a death sentence if it's my wife, etc".... Imma use that one soon.