Thread: Retirement How Did You Make It?

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Big Skyz's Avatar

Retirement How Did You Make It?

I've watched as several of you have made it to retirement. I honestly don't know how you guys survived that last few years before hanging it up. I've got two years and 6 weeks left (but who is counting? Right). I swear each day closer to retirement, work gets more and more unbearable. This wasn't something I anticipated. For most of my career I enjoyed what I did. Moving to a new area 12 years ago was great for my family and they have all done much better on every level. Career wise it has been Hell. I had it really good where I was at, but things are much different here, and in too many ways to describe. A few I can mention are, work load is far heavier than what I was used to, stress level is through the roof most days, and frankly, I just don't have the patience I used to have. I had hoped to go out on top and enjoying it as much as I ever did. I don't know maybe a change of scenery would help. Just going to grind through it for the next two years and then see how I feel. I won't quit working, but I have no plans to continue in this work environment (unless there are some huge changes) two years from now. Sorry to vent, just had to get it out of my system, but man this final leg of the journey is TOUGH!

I love it, but I was forced into it 4 years earlier than I'd planned. There were tons of things I was looking forward to doing once I retired, but I didn't take into account my health would go into the toilet. Much of what I "wanted" to do, I'm not capable of doing anymore. BUT ... I compensated and ... for the most part ... totally changed my interests. My planned Alaskan moose hunt went out the window. There's no way I could physically pull it off. Chasin' wimmins these days is kinda like the old dog that chases cars ... if he ever caught one, what would he do with it?

Seriously, I had to make some major lifestyle adjustments, but I'm making the most of it. My biggest problem (other than a shortage of money) is that Lynn's 6-years younger than me and still has to work. I love to travel, but ALL travel plans have to be planned around her work schedule, available vacation time, the season (her busy season is the Fall/Winter). That sort of thing. As for the work thing ... consider yourself lucky that you've just recently reached the end of your rope. When I finally suffered total career burn-out, I still had 24 working years ahead of me.

Hang in there ... you're really close ... but you're gonna HAVE to quit watching that clock 'cause it'll slow everything down. You know what they say, "A watched pot never boils!"
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) johnboy's Avatar
    I had originally planned to retire at 55, come hell or high water but with the way things were going at work I knew I wouldn't make it that long. Just could not abide being there for many reasons, as you mentioned. I managed to convince my boss to let me go, after 25 years with the company, which meant a very good termination package. Retired at 51 and never looked back. Did the 'house husband' thing for a few years till the missus was 'corporately downsized' then we were both free.

It cost me financially for sure but I figure it saved my life and or sanity and I'd do it again in a minute.

Think carefully and do whatever is best for you and your family. Good luck!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) jb's Avatar
    I went out after 31 years, did one more than needed but it was like in the Marines, they'd tell you drop and give me 30, then you'd give them 31 with the FU look in your eyes.
    I didn't realize that the last 5 years were as bad as they were, sort of like what you'r in right now. I had to retire to realize just how bad they were and I should not have done the last year. I had one BIG advantage, I was not in the classroom, and my supervisors thought I was doing a good job.
    I got out when I was 58, it's been 15 years now and I've moved on with my life. I have nothing to do with my old workplace or the people I worked with, total divorce.
    What has helped me is my work life sideline of Architecture, always did it while I was working and now it's a little better than part time, but 100% enjoyable and brings in a nice paycheck to boot. I'm sure with your interests and talent, you'll adapt quickly to life outside education.
    Wifes been retired for 13 years and is a full time Grandmother. We have the time and money to travel but neither of us enjoy it, haven't been to FL in the past two years after going there for about 30 years straight.
    I don't envy you at all, except those last two years will go by, take advantage of all that's offered to get out of the classroom as much as possible (we had lot's of teacher in-service and conferences available )
    Bottom line, don't cheat your students out of your skills, they deserve your best, and when it's time to bale you leave knowing even thought it was a tough two years, you gave them your best.
    Last edited by jb; 04-12-2018 at 08:39 PM.
    The older I get, the better I was. I also forget my password and have to have Len reset it for me

I was ready for it and had been for a few years.

I am amazed at how many of my retired friends who had long careers absolutely hated their jobs the last five or so years that they worked. I made the statement many time to people that I spent my first twenty five years helping to build something and the last ten taking it apart.

BKb
    Viva Renaldo!

On top of the last year normal stress, I ended up with a Mayor that hated the ground I walked on adding double to the stress. Thank God she didn’t have a vote on council and they (council members) loved me and help keep her in check.
    At 51 I retired with 30 full and was lost as everything. Working the farm was a good thing but left me wanting more. I worked for the district attorney as an investigator a few days a week until grant ran out that paid me.
    Sold guns at Bass Pro for a couple years one or two days a week and loved it but there is nothing there in retail. It cost about as much to work retail as it pays.
    Then the right fit came along with the DOJ and I ended up in DC for training last September and I work two to three days a week now all across the state of NC doing inspections on all Law Enforcement agencies. They furnish me a car, all expenses and pay me very well. It’s a great fit and I’m putting all the money back for the grand kids college.
    Hang in there Sky. Them two years will be gone before you know it, and you will be wondering what’s next.
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

I retired and became an eBay mogul.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Hombre's Avatar
    I'm no where near retirement but have some of the same feelings myself. I'm probably 7 years out if everything works out perfectly and 10-12 more realistic. Here are the few things i've noticed. One, early in your career everything is new and exciting, you haven't put up with politics, pressure, or the general bullshit yet. So, when that stuff rears its ugly head it kinda moves on past like water off a ducks back. Later in life we're much less willing to put up with that bullshit, or much less likely to just move on quickly. The second thing I've noticed is as I get closer it is a bad idea to count down the time. Its like watching a pot of water boil, just frustrating. I think the anticipation of retiring is as much to blame with my sometimes bad mood as anything. I think those two things combined make it tough later in a career, and if you compound it by actually having a worse situation I could see where it is almost unbearable.

"On top of the last year normal stress, I ended up with a Mayor that hated the ground I walked on adding double to the stress. Thank God she didn’t have a vote on council and they (council members) loved me and help keep her in check."

Captain I'm in a very similar situation as far as employment politics are concerned. So I understand where you are coming from there. Unfortunately the tyrant in my life doesn't have anyone keeping that person in check. There has been quite a few very experienced employee's bale from here in the last few years, and a whole bunch more of us planning to do so in the next 1 to 5 years. Too bad, as I have some great peers that are very good at what they do.

Thank you all for sharing your insight. I swear I'm about to become Ebay Mogul II in a couple of years as I don't think I could stand to go back into retail which I did while going to college. Hopefully between my art, skull cleaning, and possibly guided fisherman I can find a way to survive on a teacher's retirement. I wish I knew what door to walk through next in life, but right now the only thing I'm sure of is I want to shut the door on my current situation in 2 years. I completely understand what JB was saying when he said he divorced his old work place.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    It’s good to hear I’m not alone. I’d planned to stay where I am for about another 10 years and retire. But, there have been a lot of changes on both personnel and organizational direction that have me looking to move on. I’d love to retire, but my youngest is in 8th grade. So, I don’t see that happening any time soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Btw, even though I didn't acknowledge everyone in my reply, I do want to say thank you to everyone that posted on this thread. I could relate with every post. Y'all gave me some things to think about.