Thread: 38 degrees, 18 mph wind, and 70% chance of rain and snow....

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Penguin's Avatar

38 degrees, 18 mph wind, and 70% chance of rain and snow....

... that's the forecast for my WV turkey season opener on monday morning.

Good heavens. This has been a late spring for sure. And the wettest one I can recall in my life. But that kind of crap on the spring gobbler opener? Somebody ain't living right.

Will

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) jb's Avatar
    This AM it's 32 & snowing here, last year at this time I had the Bimmer out of the barn.
    The older I get, the better I was. I also forget my password and have to have Len reset it for me

Yeah, that sounds about right jb. We get the leavings of all of those midwest storms and since we've had a bunch I suppose you folks had that plus a bunch more. Need to put rough treds on that convertible man.

To put the cherry on top, friday and saturday we are supposed to get up to the mid 70's for the first time since last fall. And sunny to boot. You watch, we'll have to sneak in a garden between rainy stretches and as soon as we get them in we won't see a good rain until september. That's the way of it.

Will

We just got rid of that weather. Enjoy it.

We have a chance of frost again this weekend.

This is more like our normal spring as opposed to the warm early ones we’ve had the past few years.

BKb
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    Yeah, they’ll be thundering on Friday and Saturday and hunkering down in the pines by Monday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Wife took this out the back door while I am at work. I guess she thinks it is funny as well.

~sigh~

turkeys_01B.jpg

Hats pretty funny. I was deer hunting with a buddy about 3 hours from home once and his wife sent him a picture of a beautiful 10pt Mountain a doe in their back yard.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Dinner View Post
    Hats pretty funny. I was deer hunting with a buddy about 3 hours from home once and his wife sent him a picture of a beautiful 10pt Mountain a doe in their back yard.
    Ha ha ha! Ya' got's ta' love spellcheck! Mountain a doe? I guess that works ... verbally at least.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Years ago, Lynn's uncle and her two cousins would always make an annual mule deer hunting trip to ... heck, I don't even remember ... Utah? .. Colorado? ... Arizona? ... Nevada? Anyway, they'd take their motor home and park it way the heck back in the mountains and use it as their base camp. They'd take off on 4-wheelers and go to a remote area to hunt, then return to the motor home in the evening. One year they'd been having lousy luck for a few days and on one particular day, Lynn's uncle twisted his ankle while climbing a rocky hill. The next day his ankle was really sore and swollen, so he stayed at camp and the boys headed out to continue hunting. When they returned to camp that evening (empty handed), dad had a nice buck all dressed out and hanging in front of the motor home. He told them that right after they left, he started cleaning up the breakfast dishes and that buck walked right up to their camp. He grabbed his rifle from just inside the door, took two steps away from the camper and nailed him! As it turned out, that was the only deer they bagged that year.

Even down here in the deep south, we're down into the 30's, too......the old folks refer to this as a "blackberry winter".....blackberries usually blossom, after cold weather is gone, but they're getting hit with more cold weather, now, in full bloom.
    Southern Gentleman

I think we just had our last freeze of the season this morning. If it ain’t my tomaters will scream in agony.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) jb's Avatar
    Local paper said we've received a little over 30" so far this month, with 24 coming the past 4 days.
    Still forecast snow through Thursday, then back into the 50's.
    It's been a long ass winter up here.
    Back yard this AM
    Last edited by jb; 04-17-2018 at 09:00 AM.
    The older I get, the better I was. I also forget my password and have to have Len reset it for me

Holy cow. I will stop complaining about the weather now.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Yeah, jb has us covered.

We have a couple new inches on the ground since that photo yesterday around noon. Still blowing like crazy. Lousy turkey hunting weather. Saturday morning looks to be good though. I'll get set up and hunt a bit early. Got a few trees to get on the ground this weekend so I can't hunt long.

On a bright note I have a slew of seedlings in little containers coming along nicely. Lots of tomatoes and quite a few pepper plants. Got some new hot peppers and one hot/sweet peach pepper I'm really looking forward to tasting.

Will

Quote Originally Posted by BarryBobPosthole View Post
    Holy cow. I will stop complaining about the weather now.

BKB
    same! I'm good I'm good!
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
    We have a couple new inches on the ground since that photo yesterday around noon. Still blowing like crazy. Lousy turkey hunting weather. Saturday morning looks to be good though. I'll get set up and hunt a bit early. Got a few trees to get on the ground this weekend so I can't hunt long. Will
    Why don't you just crack the sliding glass door open a few inches and hunt from the living room?

Quote Originally Posted by LJ3 View Post
    same! I'm good I'm good!
    Sweet Mother of Abraham Lincoln! I even enjoy snow and winter, but that’s too much. I actually mowed and fertilized my lawn Saturday for the first time this spring. (We even ate dinner outside in the deck and enjoyed some vodka tonics!). After the rain we got Sunday, it’s greening up nicely thankyouverymuch.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Why don't you just crack the sliding glass door open a few inches and hunt from the living room?
    The thought has crossed my mind.

Will

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    That would be a hell of a way to wake the family up if they came in early.
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!