Thread: Finally, some common-sense about duck season.....

Finally, some common-sense about duck season.....

Thanks to our new U.S. Senator from MS, Cindy Hyde Smith:
    (p.s.-click to enlarge.)

duckseason.jpg
    Southern Gentleman

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    I don’t duck really duck hunt any more mostly due to lack of opportunity. So, I don’t really have a dog in this fight. What exactly is this trying to fix? Is it just adding a few extra days fo special military and youth hunting days? I will say that as a general rule I prefer to have biologists and not politicians setting seasons and bag limits. If the politicians get involved, they could easily start taking things away as much as adding them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Is there a link Eddie? I can’t seem to enlarge it big enough to read on my ipad.

This is the discussion we need Herb around for.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Here ya go Tpost:

Thursday, May 24, 2018

HYDE-SMITH INTRODUCES BILL TO EXTEND FEDERAL DUCK HUNTING SEASON CLOSING DATE

Miss. Senator’s First Bill Would Give States More Power, Establish Special Hunting Days for Veterans, Active Military, National Guard & Youths

WASHINGTON, D.C. – Legislation authored and introduced today by U.S. Senator Cindy Hyde-Smith (R-Miss.) would answer the call of sportsmen in Mississippi and around the country to allow states to extend duck hunting season to January 31.

The Migratory Bird Framework and Hunting Opportunities for Veterans Act (S.2942) is the first legislation introduced by Hyde-Smith as a U.S. Senator. In addition to changing the annual federal framework closing date to January 31, the bill would also set aside the first weekend in February for duck hunting by youths, veterans, active duty members of the Armed Forces and National Guard.

“My legislation is about states’ rights, establishing consistent closing dates, and showing a small gesture of appreciation to those who defend our country. It would also have the added benefit of generating more revenue for conservation, habitat improvements, and hunter education,” Hyde-Smith said.

“The Fish and Wildlife Service doesn’t have any sound reason for not giving states the option to extend their duck season closing date to the end of January. Sportsmen in Mississippi and other states have for year sought this change, but to no avail. My bill would correct that,” she said.

The legislation would set January 31 as the annual closing date for the federal duck season framework in the Atlantic, Mississippi, Central, and Pacific flyways. The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service has in recent years set the federal deadline as the last Sunday in January, which might fall on January 25 one year and January 31 the next, cutting short late-season opportunities for some states when hunting is best.

By establishing a January 31 as the federal closing date, the bill would not affect the length of the season in terms of days, or force states to extend duck season, but would allow them to set an annual deadline that best meets the needs of that state. If enacted, only 10 additional days of duck hunting would be added over the next five years as result of the new opportunities created the first weekend of February for veterans, active duty members of the Armed Forces and National Guard, and youths.

If enacted, the measure would benefit duck populations and duck habitat nationwide as a result of additional revenues generated from ammunition sales pursuant to the Pittman-Robertson Federal Aid in Wildlife Restoration Act used to support state wildlife agencies with conservation and habitat improvement efforts, and hunter education programs. In addition, 98 cents of every additional dollar spent on Federal Duck Stamps would be deposited into the Migratory Bird Conservation Fund to protect and restore migratory bird habitat.

Hunting, fishing, and wildlife watching had a $2.7 billion economic impact in Mississippi in 2017, with $1.14 billion attributed to hunting alone, according to the Mississippi State University Division of Agriculture, Forestry, and Veterinary Medicine.

“A slight extension to the season is reasonable and one way to support hunting, which is more than a tradition in Mississippi. It is an economic powerhouse,” Hyde-Smith said. “A few additional days of duck hunting for our military and veterans could generate additional economic activity in states that choose to extend duck season.”

Mississippi is part of the Mississippi flyway, which also includes Alabama, Arkansas, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Ohio, Tennessee, and Wisconsin.

The bill has been referred to the Senate Environment and Public Works Committee.
    Last edited by Big Muddy; 05-25-2018 at 01:33 PM.
    Southern Gentleman

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Big Skyz's Avatar
    Well BM, you could always come up here and hunt them for your hearts content through the fall and into December. There are literally thousands of ducks and geese and darn few waterfowl hunters. Big game and upland game are such a big draw in this state that waterfowl go largely ignored. When I first moved to Montana I did hunt ducks and geese a little but after a few years I got really bored with it as it really wasn't very challenging. Too easy in fact. I guess to a hard-core waterfowler that would be a nice problem to have.

Ha, Sky, don't tempt me !!!
    Southern Gentleman