Thread: All-natural garden pesticide......

All-natural garden pesticide......

One of our researchers said he was getting pretty good results, using capsaisin on garden plots, as a non-chemical pest deterrent .....I got a sample of this Flash Bang stuff, and experimented with it on my own sweet corn.....the rabbits and squirrels had been giving my sweet corn fits, by gnawing down the stalks.

I figured 3.5 million Scoville units would do the trick.....I had a friend who loves hot stuff volunteer to test it for me.....I poured up a gallon of fresh clean water, and started with one drop of Flash Bang, at a time, until he told me he couldn't take it, any longer.

Three drops in a gallon of water is all he could stand.....so, I poured it into my garden sprayer, and applied it to my sweet corn, as a spray mist.....then, applied it around the perimeter of my plot.

It's been a week, now, and not a single stalk of corn has been damaged.....even the insect pests won't go near the plot.....seems to be working good, but I expect to have to apply more, as I don't know how rain-fast it is.

flash bang.jpg
    Southern Gentleman

I used to have a friend that was a rice grower in SE Arkansas near where you have your lake place (he passed away several years ago). He told me that he tried pepper spray around the edges of his fields because the deer were really giving him fits. He said even the cardboard boxes that the spray containers came in had to be handled with gloves this stuff was so concentrated. He said the deer ate the rice that was sprayed with it like candy.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Well, that’s Arkie’s for ya.....the Good Lord sends the guy fresh venison, and he complains about losing a little rice.
    Southern Gentleman

The water moccasins would keep me from ever being a rice farmer. Well, that and the cost of 5000 acres of bottom land. That’s the other thing my buddy talked about. The snakesliked to hang around those water gates.

BKb
    Viva Renaldo!

Yep, I loved farming rice.....I rarely allowed someone else to walk my fields and check the water gates.....the snakes were always out there, but I NEVER went out there without a good sharp rice shovel.....a moc is bad juju in hot weather, but no match for a sharp shovel edge.....I only got hit by a moc, once, in 39 years.....that big nasty biatch, actually attacked me from behind.....fangs got hung in the cuff of my britches leg.....I kicked so hard, that she flew thru the air, and ripped parts of her fangs outta her mouth.....I had to change underwear, for sure!!!

I wore only shorts and tennis shoes until the rice got taller, and the leaf blades got those sharp sawtooth edges on them.....then, I had to switch to bluejeans and gum boots.
    Last edited by Big Muddy; 06-08-2018 at 10:08 AM.
    Southern Gentleman

I got popped by a rattler once while bow hunting. His fangs broke off in a pair of Browning snake boots I was wearing.
    Oh yea, I had to change too.
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Muddy View Post
    Yep, I loved farming rice.....I rarely allowed someone else to walk my fields and check the water gates.....the snakes were always out there, but I NEVER went out there without a good sharp rice shovel.....a moc is bad juju in hot weather, but no match for a sharp shovel edge.....I only got hit by a moc, once, in 39 years.....that big nasty biatch, actually attacked me from behind.....fangs got hung in the cuff of my britches leg.....I kicked so hard, that she flew thru the air, and ripped parts of her fangs outta her mouth.....I had to change underwear, for sure!!!

I wore only shorts and tennis shoes until the rice got taller, and the leaf blades got those sharp sawtooth edges on them.....then, I had to switch to bluejeans and gum boots.
    when I think of gum boots all I can think of is scalded feet.

bKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Ha, the rice water kept my footsies somewhat cool.
    Southern Gentleman

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    I stepped on a big ole cotton mouth in a growed up pasture one time. Made break dancers look tame.

I hate the bad tempered bastages
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"
    Albert Einstein

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    3.5m Scoville Units-you better hope the rain washes it off...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

I definitely sprayed it down wind, but even some of the lingering mist particles lit up my eyeballs pretty good.

Ha, maybe I won't even hafta add any pepper, when I sit down to eat it.
    Southern Gentleman

The corn is prolly all popped.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!