Thread: RIP Anthony Bourdain.....

RIP Anthony Bourdain.....

Only 61 years old.....hung himself.....cool dude. ;(

abour.jpg
    Last edited by Big Muddy; 06-08-2018 at 11:09 AM.
    Southern Gentleman

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    I'm fixing to turn 61. If you find me hanging by the neck call the po po cause it'll be murder
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"
    Albert Einstein

I’ve always enjoyed his show. Man, this is a topic I’ll never comprehend.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Small world. I'm hung. myself

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) johnboy's Avatar
    Been watching his programs for years and always enjoyed his take on where ever he happened to be but I did notice that his episodes were getting a little 'darker', more serious than they used to be. He spent more time talking politics, for example, than cuisine.

Unless you have been through a bout of clinical depression, you will never understand why someone would do that to themselves.

RIP Anthony. I will miss you.

I thought that same thing about his West Virginia episode, John. Then the one from Uruguay was his old self.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    Thinking about him...

“Even more despised than the Brunch People are the vegetarians. Serious cooks regard these members of the dining public—and their Hezbollah-like splinter faction, the vegans—as enemies of everything that’s good and decent in the human spirit. To live life without veal or chicken stock, fish cheeks, sausages, cheese, or organ meats is treasonous.”
    -Anthony Bourdain, The New Yorker, 1999

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) airbud7's Avatar
    He hanged himself? .... the dude must have had serious mental problems.

Fish cheeks and organ meat will make yo azz go crazy.
    Southern Gentleman

I’ve thought that I have had dark times, but nothing that would make me want to do something like that. Very very sad.

I was a big fan and he's stayed at Lynn's hotel a few times when in town. I had the impression he may have been a bit of an a-hole in his personal life, but in actuality, his on-air personality and personal were one and the same. Nothing fake or pretentious. He'd always step outside to smoke and never had a problem signing autographs and chatting with fans who would recognize him. Around the hotel, he was always very nice and polite to anyone he came in contact with. An all around nice guy really. Of all the places he's been in the world, he once said that once he retires, he'd like to move to Thailand. So, we had a bit in common. I believe all that changed once he got married and the last I heard was possible retirement in France. I guess it's more fun to be single than married when it comes to living in Thailand. I watched ALL his shows and was generally a pretty big fan. He'll be missed. Who knows what demons he was facing.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

I really just started watching his show some this season when an episode on Thailand caught my eye. It was complete with lady-boys and blood soup and made me think of you Thunp.

Yep, I've seen that episode a few times (where he kissed 'Ernest Borgnine'). I think it was the same episode where he and his buddy ate pig's brain as well as raw blood soup. I ate both quite often, the blood soup being my favorite. I've only had it one time here in the States. I had a buddy who was Thai (came over here as a young child when his parents immigrated here). We went out to his parents place for a visit one day. It was very rural, way out a dirt road and actually looked like a Thai compound. Chickens, pigs, a lake down the road where he'd fish, a water buffalo, plenty of fruit trees and a veggie garden. The old man was preparing blood soup and asked if I wanted any. I gladly accepted. I asked my buddy if he was going to have some with us and he said, "I don't eat that fuckin' shit!!" (I guess the States spoiled him) I sat in the back yard with his dad and we enjoyed a big ol' bowl between the two of us. I think it may have been the best I'd ever had! Lynn was with me, but she and my buddy just watched, shaking their heads the whole time. It formed a special bond between his dad and me, but he passed away many years ago. My buddy said his dad would ask about me every time they got together and said I was the only person he knew who'd sit and share blood soup with him. That's one of the things I really respected about Bourdain, he was open to all cultures and had no trouble trying their local foods.

I remember he looked pretty dubious as he watched them make it, but once he tried it he really liked it. I’m a fairly adventurous eater, but I don’t think I’ve been hungry enough to eat that yet.

fire stick/Travel Channel played him all day free ....watched about 3 to 4 episodes and they were good .....can't believe he killed himself...he seemed really laid-back and cool.

Lynn and I have been kicked back at the hotel in Miami watching his episodes most of the day today. In fact, we're still watching as I speak. CNN is planning to run a full marathon tomorrow. Heck, I'm not sure what they call today ... seems like a marathon to me.

watched a few more .....yea! ...he was a cool dude ....Sad/ yet weird to?

Why? ...(the question that can never be answered).
    Last edited by airbud7; 06-10-2018 at 03:46 AM.