Thread: I was just thinking

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master

I was just thinking

what a foodie world we've become and all the outrageously priced dishes there are out there. Now I like a good fillet as much as the next guy and I'd dearly love to try Wagyu striploin or a Kobe ribeye but day in and day out good ole country cooking is hard to beat. I just got up from eating a big bait of purple hull peas, cornbread, deer roast with carrots and potatoes and a cantaloupe so sweet it'd melt in your mouth.

I can't imagine a $500 steak or pork chop cooked in saffron infused aged porcupine fat tasting as good much less better than my lunch today
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"
    Albert Einstein

Porcupine fat? Now you’re getting into Hidehunter’s territory.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

We’re very close friends with a couple who are the biggest foodies I’ve ever known. They hate to eat alone, so we’re constantly invited to their house to eat. He’s the main cook, she does desserts. A normal weekend invitation means arriving for brunch and staying for dinner. But the real treat is, they love eating out and we’re always invited to accompany them or meet someplace. About any meal we have usually ends up costing what would be about a week’s salary for most people. We’ve also been on cruises with them and they travel the world. 90% of their travels are centered around eating at top tier restaurants around the world. The one that stands out the most in my memory was the time he ordered a huge meal (probably 7-8 items) and just ONE of the dishes was an Alaskan King Crab for $1000! (US dollars) They’re great friends to have, but I NEVER offer to pick up the tab. 😳

If there’s a Universal Truth, its that the enjoyment of food has absolutely nothing to do with how much it costs. The conflation of the two is not cooking, its marketing.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Big Skyz's Avatar
    In the end it all comes out the same...

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Bwana's Avatar

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) HideHunter's Avatar
    yup...
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

Personally, I could live off boilt peanuts, boilt okra, boilt squash, and boilt taters.
    Southern Gentleman

Quote Originally Posted by Big Muddy View Post
    Personally, I could live off boilt peanuts, boilt okra, boilt squash, and boilt taters.
    Boilt 'taters and peanuts, yes. Boilt squash and okra want to make me gag ... but I can't get enough FRIED okra and/or squash!
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

You guys mean mean ‘bowled’? I knew a fellow from up north once that didn’t know bowled from boilt.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Quote Originally Posted by BarryBobPosthole View Post
    If there’s a Universal Truth, its that the enjoyment of food has absolutely nothing to do with how much it costs. The conflation of the two is not cooking, its marketing.

BKB
    Pretty sure you just wanted to use the word, conflation.
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Penguin's Avatar
    I can't imagine paying 1 grand for a crab... no matter where it comes from or how large it is.

Goodness!

I guess I am just a lot poorer or whatever than some folks. But like some of you guys I never noticed feeling badly about what I usually eat. In terms of enjoyment at the table my wife and I are rich beyond measure.

I wonder how many of these folks that eat at such extravagant places have just as extravagant kitchens that never get used?

Ah well. Money can't buy happiness... or my fried deer steak with mushroom and ramp gravy either.

Will

Yep, I think the $1000 crab was way over the top, and that was just ONE item. His general ordering rule in a Chinese restaurant is to order a MINIMUM of one entree per person at the table. Of course, everybody shares each entree. I'm with you on the crab, but frankly, the additional entrees weren't cheap either! I guess it all boils down to how much money you have and what your interests are. We've been best friends (and eating partners) for 30 years. They're really good people and we enjoy their company and generosity. We're never expected to pick up a tab, they just enjoy our company. I sure don't complain.

I remember him calling me one morning and asked if I'd had breakfast yet. "Nope, why?" He then told me not to eat all day and to save room for a huge meal that night. They picked Lynn and me up here at the house, then we headed to (Don) Shula's steak house in Tampa. We were there for the 48-oz. steak challenge! Now, a high quality 48-oz. Porter House was not much of a problem for me, but that FOOTBALL sized (literally) baked potato, salad, bread and I don't remember which sides, were part of the deal. You had to finish it all! We did it and there is a plaque on the wall with our names on it (along with another elebenty-bazillion others), but it was fun.

As for expensive meals, he can afford it. He's Chinese, came here from Hong Kong and is a graduate of Florida State. It's funny, when we're out with them, as I said, he's Chinese and his wife is white. Waiters always assume he and Lynn are a couple, and his wife and I are a couple! He's always been a proud FSU alumnus and NEVER misses a "local" FSU football game. He always has season tickets and a sky box (or whatever the going term is). He even built a 2nd house up in Tallahassee (300 mi. drive) so they have a place to stay for the home games. (they also catch many games on the road) We've spent quite a few game weekends up there with them, but sitting through a football game isn't my cup of tea. To show how much he loves FSU, he recently donated a quarter million bucks for some project they have going up there. He's so modest, he never even mentioned it to us. I saw where his son had mentioned it on FaceBook. They're "everyday" people, not pretentious. From the article, you can see he didn't even dress up when he made the donation ... but wore his usual button down short sleeve shirt with shorts and (most likely) a pair of those ugly-assed Crocs for shoes! His waistline is one indication of his love for food! They're good people and dear friends.

http://foundation.fsu.edu/our-impact...iness-building
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

If I ate a $1,000 king crab, it better come with an ounce of gold as a garnish.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    For $1,000, that crab better give me a happy ending!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke