Thread: I feel like such an ass ... :(

I feel like such an ass ... :(

I was sitting at my computer this morning thinking about how slow the site has been lately, then for some reason it hit me ... it's been ages since Fido has checked in. I pulled out my phone and started to give the old fart a call! Then an "odd" feeling came over me and I thought better of it. "Maybe" I should check the obits first ... I don't know why ... I just had a bad feeling. You see, ol' Fido and I were pretty close and he used to call quite often. Then, all of a sudden, the calls stopped. I figured life just got in the way and I knew he'd been busy with his race car, so I really didn't worry much about it. After a while, I'd occasionally think about him, but I was always "busy" and figured I'd check with him later. Well shit! I found his obit this morning. What makes me feel like a TOTAL ass is that he passed away over a year ago! (5/15/17) I can't believe how fast time slips away as days turn into weeks, weeks to months, etc. Damn! I'd give anything to chat with him again. We talked about many things, but mostly racing. We talked about his car, improvements he'd make and how the season was going. He won a few championships and I'd celebrate with him over the phone.

I remember one day he called my cell phone, said he had a problem with his car and was looking for some expert advice. He asked if I might know Buzzy Reutimann. I told him he wasn't going to believe it, but I just happened to be at Buzzy's garage as we speak! They talked, exchanged phone numbers to stay in touch, and ol' Bill ended up winning the championship that season! I know this place isn't packed with race fans and I don't even recall Bill ever mentioning his racing here, although I do remember calling him out on the site a few times to ask how his season was going. If anyone gives a rats-ass who Buzzy is, here's a link. https://www.onedirt.com/news/what-yo...zie-reutimann/

And here's Bills (Fido) obit from 2017. I miss you Bill and I'm sorry I waited so long to check on you. I suppose this thread should be moved to the "Gone, But Not Forgotten" forum, but I wanted to put it here first.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/tol...&pid=185802602

fido.jpg

William J. Steils

William J. Steils passed at his home in Cambridge, Ohio on May 15. Bill was born on November 22, 1943 to William and Susan Steils. Had reached many accomplishments in his 73 years. He graduated from Macomber High School, afterwards taking a job at the Jeep Corp. where he eventually retired as an Industrial Millwright. He served in the Air National Guard, earning certificates of achievement as a jet engine mechanic. In the 60s he ran a '55 chevy in the NHRA's modified production class. He was very good at skeet and trap and also hunted Wyoming many years for deer and antelope. The 70s saw Lake Erie come alive with Bill obtaining his 10 ton captain's license. He ran a charter boat, the "REEF HUNTER" where many hours were spent with his parents, brother, sister-in-law, and niece and nephew bringing in many a fine catch of walleye and perch. He retired in '98, moving to southern Ohio for more outdoor sports and was active in the local dirt track racing scene. He leaves behind his brother, Robert (Debra); nephew, Nathan Steils; niece, Kelly (Rob) Mefford; and grandnephew, Spencer Mefford.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar
    That sucks. Thanks for letting us know though Thump.

Sooooo looong Fido! Rest In Peace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."

So long, Fido! I am better for knowing ya!

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    Man, I hate to hear this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

I tooooooo, am better for knowin’ ya! RIP

To make matters worse, I just went back through some old posts and found where I/we wished him a happy birthday on 11/22/2016. He responded and mentioned he was having trouble with his pacemaker.

http://www.goodhunting.info/showthre...highlight=fido

Then I/we wished him a happy birthday on 11/22/2017 ... with no response from Fido.

http://www.goodhunting.info/showthre...highlight=fido

He'd already passed away on 5/15! What kind of frigging friend was I to have not even called to see what's up until a year and 3-mos. AFTER we'd already lost him? Man-o-man, I feel like crap. I guess I'm at the age now that I need to get used to this sort of thing, but that still doesn't negate the fact I went so long without checking up on him. I suck!
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

I’m sure Bill knew what kind of friend youwere from the years of good conversations and checking in that you’ve done. It is a sad surprise that you found he was gone and didn’t get a chance to say goodbye, but don’t beat yourself up. Life happens, my friend.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Bwana's Avatar
    You don't suck Thump, Life simply happens.

I know that I too am guilty of letting Life get in the road of me reaching out to people I should keep in touch with. Pretty sure we all do. Not saying it is right, but it does happen.

Take it easy on yourself Jimmy. I'm sure he appreciated your friendship. That's what really matters. I do remember him posting about his car and racing adventures from time to time back in the day. Sad to see one of our own leave the earth.
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Penguin's Avatar
    Farewell fido.

Hope you've found a place where the fish are always biting, dust rings are the norm on the trap range, and the gasoline is all non-ethanol.

Will

Thumper why don’t you post up a eulogy for Fido on the ‘GBNF’ thread.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

It’s a possibility. I had originally planned on simply transferring this thread over there once it plays out.

Oh, fwiw and not that it really matters, but Bill didn’t post heavily here. But he loved the site and was a regular financial contributor. ANY time we had any sort of funding drive, he ALWAYS stepped up to help us out.

Thanks for letting us know Thump! That’s some sad news.
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!