I was sitting at my computer this morning thinking about how slow the site has been lately, then for some reason it hit me ... it's been ages since Fido has checked in. I pulled out my phone and started to give the old fart a call! Then an "odd" feeling came over me and I thought better of it. "Maybe" I should check the obits first ... I don't know why ... I just had a bad feeling. You see, ol' Fido and I were pretty close and he used to call quite often. Then, all of a sudden, the calls stopped. I figured life just got in the way and I knew he'd been busy with his race car, so I really didn't worry much about it. After a while, I'd occasionally think about him, but I was always "busy" and figured I'd check with him later. Well shit! I found his obit this morning. What makes me feel like a TOTAL ass is that he passed away over a year ago! (5/15/17) I can't believe how fast time slips away as days turn into weeks, weeks to months, etc. Damn! I'd give anything to chat with him again. We talked about many things, but mostly racing. We talked about his car, improvements he'd make and how the season was going. He won a few championships and I'd celebrate with him over the phone.

I remember one day he called my cell phone, said he had a problem with his car and was looking for some expert advice. He asked if I might know Buzzy Reutimann. I told him he wasn't going to believe it, but I just happened to be at Buzzy's garage as we speak! They talked, exchanged phone numbers to stay in touch, and ol' Bill ended up winning the championship that season! I know this place isn't packed with race fans and I don't even recall Bill ever mentioning his racing here, although I do remember calling him out on the site a few times to ask how his season was going. If anyone gives a rats-ass who Buzzy is, here's a link. https://www.onedirt.com/news/what-yo...zie-reutimann/

And here's Bills (Fido) obit from 2017. I miss you Bill and I'm sorry I waited so long to check on you. I suppose this thread should be moved to the "Gone, But Not Forgotten" forum, but I wanted to put it here first.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/tol...&pid=185802602

fido.jpg

William J. Steils

William J. Steils passed at his home in Cambridge, Ohio on May 15. Bill was born on November 22, 1943 to William and Susan Steils. Had reached many accomplishments in his 73 years. He graduated from Macomber High School, afterwards taking a job at the Jeep Corp. where he eventually retired as an Industrial Millwright. He served in the Air National Guard, earning certificates of achievement as a jet engine mechanic. In the 60s he ran a '55 chevy in the NHRA's modified production class. He was very good at skeet and trap and also hunted Wyoming many years for deer and antelope. The 70s saw Lake Erie come alive with Bill obtaining his 10 ton captain's license. He ran a charter boat, the "REEF HUNTER" where many hours were spent with his parents, brother, sister-in-law, and niece and nephew bringing in many a fine catch of walleye and perch. He retired in '98, moving to southern Ohio for more outdoor sports and was active in the local dirt track racing scene. He leaves behind his brother, Robert (Debra); nephew, Nathan Steils; niece, Kelly (Rob) Mefford; and grandnephew, Spencer Mefford.