Thread: (Thump rant) If I handed you $50.00 ....

(Thump rant) If I handed you $50.00 ....

.... do you think you'd have a problem spending it?

American Express gives us a credit every 6-months for Saks Fifth Avenue. It's one'a those "don't use it, ya' lose it" type deals. Ok, we have until December, so no real rush, but with our cruise coming up next month, I figured maybe we could find something we might like to have for the trip. I asked Lynn to go on-line to peruse the offerings and make a purchase .... or if she sees something she'd rather touch and feel before pulling the trigger, we'll stop by Saks the next time we're in Tampa or Orlando (which is often).

After a few days, she let me know she couldn't find anything she can't live without and told me to see if I could find anything I might want/need. Well, I've been on-line for the last hour or so and ..... do rich people just sit around all day wondering how many different ways they can throw money away? I swear, I can't find a frigging thing that I'd actually buy ... even with a FREE $50 bill in my hand! Ok, I started out with the usual ... I looked at shirts. WTF??? I'd have to take out a second mortgage just to buy a t-shirt! And that's AFTER my "free" $50.00 credit!! Pants, shoes, etc? Out of the question. Ok, obviously I need to set my sites (sights?) a bit lower.

Here's something I ran across in the travel accessories section. We're planning a trip to Japan in the not too distant future and figured we'd fit right in walking the streets of Tokyo wearing one of those silly looking face masks the Japanese are so fond of wearing in the city. I will say, I have a box of these things next to my table saw in the garage, but I figured they're not quite stylish enough for travel ... they're tacky ol' paper masks anyway! Ok, I wasn't seriously thinking of buying a mask, I just saw them as I was scanning through the offerings, but it'll give you some idea how hard it is to find anything at Saks for $50. Ridiculous!

You can get these in red, blue or black for only $110 apiece. Heck, I think I'll get a blue one for me and a red one for Lynn. With my free money, it would only cost me $170.00 out of pocket! Well, I didn't check, there may be shipping involved also.

saks2.jpg

Naaaa, a little out of my price range and we wouldn't really wear the silly things anydamnway, but you get the idea where I'm headed with this silliness. Thinking here .... oh! I could always use a new ball cap to keep the sun off my bald ol' noggin! I zipped over to the ball cap section. Ummmm, $350.00!!!! REALLY?????

saks3.jpg

Well, I'll set my sites even lower I suppose. Heck, I could always use some new underwear ... something without skidmark or pee stains! Here we go! Sure, they're $250, but it's a 3-pack! Such a deal. We're getting closer ... only $200 out of pocket, but I think I'll stick with my old pee-stained drawers. Who's gonna see 'em anyway?

saks4.jpg

BINGO! I have an idea that's sure to be a winner! We've had some old Wally World luggage tags on our bags for about 20 years or so and they're showing their age. Maybe some nice new luggage tag holders for our bags! Surely I could get at least a 10-pack for my "free" $50.00! I'm a frigging genius .... NOT! I went to the travel section of the catalog .... ONE tag (the only offering they have) is $115.00! Give me a frigging break!

saks1.jpg

Ok, I'm out of ideas and figure I may as well just throw this $50 in the trash. Then another brilliant idea hit me! We just bought Lynn a new car last month ... maybe I can find a nice key chain. Heck, it doesn't have to be diamond encrusted gold, just a basic, but nice looking key chain. I searched and found they only have TWO key chains in their whole catalog. The first one was $850!!! And I couldn't even tell wtf it was supposed to be! NOT a good choice. I'll check out the only other key chain they have listed and see what it's like. Gulp! $950.00!!!! Dang, it's just a bit out of my price range even with my free $50 discount ... but I sure do like it ... whatever it is.

saks6.jpg

Anybody here want a free $50 credit with Saks Fifth Avenue? I won't miss it .... besides, I'll get another one in January ... and again in July ... and another the following January ... and .....................

P.S. I swear all of the above is true ... both the items and their prices. Un-frigging believable.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Penguin's Avatar
    Bwahahaha!

Jimmy that made my morning. I have never even been on their website but I was walking through the story shaking my head and thinking "Yep, that's what I'd be thinking."

Did they have any spandex or cat toys? Len wants to know.

Maybe you should buy yourself a case of tampons,

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Quote Originally Posted by BarryBobPosthole View Post
    Maybe you should buy yourself a case of tampons, BKB
    Hmmm, Gucci tampons! You may be on to something there!

I put the ball back in Lynn's court. She has a new baby niece. Maybe, just maybe ....

Cool ... every 3-mo. old little girl could use these things! Especially since, at that age, anything they can wear, will be out-grown within a couple of months!

She started out with a diaper bag for only $1690.00!

diaperbag.jpg

And of course she'll need a cute little sun dress for $1050.00.

dress.jpg

On sunny days, these cute little Wally World lookin' sandals would be nice ... for a measly $350.00.

sandals.jpg

Or should we not be such cheapskates and maybe go for a little pair of slip-on sneakers for $585.00

Remember, this stuff is for a 3-month old little girl. How big could these shoes be? 3"-4" long?

sneakers.jpg

3-4 inches long would be twice as long as your pecker.... so you’re probably right

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Bwana's Avatar
    What about a fancy pair of nipple pasties for Arty?

KaBOOM!

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Quote Originally Posted by Bwana View Post
    What about a fancy pair of nipple pasties for Arty?
    I thought we were friends.
    You’re dead to me!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) airbud7's Avatar
    got a gift card for $50 from Macy's ....had to add $20 to get a pair of New Balance tennis shoes.

Ok!!! I've made a decision ...

I sell a TON of kitchen knives on eBay. When I go to an estate sale, I pretty much follow a pattern and usually zip into the kitchen first, scan the room for "nice" knives (I jump all over any Cutco knives I run across, but will grab anything else I can make a buck on), then scan for vintage Pyrex, old Corning coffee percolators, etc, etc, then I'll boogie out to the garage before strolling through the rest of the house. I make a LOT of money selling quality kitchen knives.

Ok, so I check out Saks for kitchen knives. I found a little (5.5") Henckels prep knife for $49.99 .... cool, NO out of pocket expense! Of course it's a Pro Series, so I have no problem with it (I'll grab any I come across at estate sales). Note, the Pro Series is made in Germany and is the "good stuff". They have cheaper sets ... the Classic Series is made in Spain for example. They have some made in Japan also and then there's the run-of-the-mill crap I usually see in most kitchens, the International Series (made in China). But I digress ....

Here's my angle. I buy the little $49.99 knife with my "free" $50 credit, then sell it on eBay! Of course, it's full retail at Saks and the exact same knife (brand new) can be purchased all day long on The Bay for $29.99. Here's my idea. I get my free $50 knife from Saks and sell it on eBay for $30! It'll cost me another $10 for fees and postage, but I'll still pocket $20 profit with $0.00 cost to me! What the heck? It's a "free" $40/year straight into the ol' wallet. I'll take it!

Problem solved!

knife.jpg

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Bwana's Avatar
    Sorry Arty...sort of.

If you run into any cutco’s I’m your huckleberry!

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Dang P-hole ... I didn't know that. I've sold a bazillion of 'em, but they go out a lot faster than they come in. I'll be sure and give you a shout the next time I run across anything.

Quote Originally Posted by airbud7 View Post
    got a gift card for $50 from Macy's ....had to add $20 to get a pair of New Balance tennis shoes.
    Abud, I just bought a pair of New Balance tennis shoes on sale at Basspro for $39.95.....regular $60 bucks.....btw, Nike sucks.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/new-...407180656313-1
    Last edited by Big Muddy; 09-21-2018 at 10:48 AM.
    Southern Gentleman

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Dang P-hole ... I didn't know that. I've sold a bazillion of 'em, but they go out a lot faster than they come in. I'll be sure and give you a shout the next time I run across anything.
    Some time back in the 90’s we were at a party at a friends house. His daughter in law was there pimping Cutco knives and we bought an entire set, $500 samoleans if I remember right. I have three of them left, as the other three somehow grew legs and ran away. The butcher knife is my all time favorite and I’ve figured out to sharpen them with an edge that’ll shave.
    What I’d love to find too is what cutco used to call the ‘Fisherman’s Friend’. Its a filt knife with an adjustable length blade. I still use mine often but the gripper that holds the blade in slips on bigger rib bones.

I know you have a dozen people asking for shit but keep me in mind for pocket knives for cutcos and I’ll be beholden to ya!

BkB
    Viva Renaldo!

Quote Originally Posted by BarryBobPosthole View Post
    Some time back in the 90’s we were at a party at a friends house. His daughter in law was there pimping Cutco knives and we bought an entire set, $500 samoleans if I remember right. I have three of them left, as the other three somehow grew legs and ran away. The butcher knife is my all time favorite and I’ve figured out to sharpen them with an edge that’ll shave.
    What I’d love to find too is what cutco used to call the ‘Fisherman’s Friend’. Its a filt knife with an adjustable length blade. I still use mine often but the gripper that holds the blade in slips on bigger rib bones.

I know you have a dozen people asking for shit but keep me in mind for pocket knives for cutcos and I’ll be beholden to ya!

BkB
    Damn, you sure are needy!

P.S. I’ve been looking for a good set of kitchen knives for a few years now. So Thump, help a brotha out!