Thread: Bummer ... well, not really ... but kinda-sorta.

Bummer ... well, not really ... but kinda-sorta.

I was at an estate sale quite a while back and found an interesting ice chest/cooler in the garage buried under a pile of crap. Man, that thing weighed a TON and was made of stainless steel. Heck, for $10, I figured maybe I could do something with it. It had Dr Pepper embossed on the sides. Bummer, the hottest selling stuff is Coca-Cola, but what the heck? Well, I got it home and started researching it. I could find Coke, Pepsi and 7-up (in nice condition) selling in the $100 - $300 range ... but couldn't find any Dr Pepper units for sale on The Bay. I threw it out into the garage and forgot about it for a while, then one day, decided to take another look. I found ONE listed for $1800.00!!! WTF? I figured either I was sitting on a goldmine, or this guy was out of his frigging head. I texted him and asked how he came up with that price. I also told him I have one, but as a courtesy, I wouldn't list it until he sold his. He told me they are rare and he's a collector. As far as the price, he said it's hard to know since there are so few of them that ever hit the market, so he just threw the $1800 against the wall to see if it would stick. I noticed also, a few days later, his listing vanished, but it did not show up as being sold. Hmmm, no clue what that was all about.

Anyway, fast forward, I left mine in the garage and pretty much forgot about it. Every once in a while, I'd check The Bay, but never saw one listed. Yesterday I decided to pull it out, wipe the dust off of it and carried it down to the dock for some pics, then listed it to try getting it out of the way. The nice Coke, etc. coolers were still selling for $100-$300, but still no DP coolers listed. Crap ... I figured I'd play the same game for a few weeks ... throw a crazy figure out there and If I get no bites, I'll slowly lower the price, BUT ... what's a "crazy" figure? I thought the $1800 was insane, so I figured maybe I'd try $950. As I was making the listing, I thought to myself, that's just plain nuts, so I lowered the price to $850. DAMMIT!!!! It was snatched up immediately after I listed it! I knew then I'd probably screwed up and most likely should have auctioned it. Oh well, I'll live with $850 from a $10 purchase.

The new buyer texted me and thanked me for giving him the opportunity to buy the cooler. He said he's a collector and due to a family emergency a year or so ago, he had to sell off part of his collection to raise some quick cash. It then clicked ... this was the same guy who'd listed that $1800 cooler! I reminded him of our conversation and he remembered me. I told him I noticed his listing was pulled before it sold and asked whatever happened to it. He said he sold it to a very close, long-time friend and fellow collector for $1000, but has regretted it ever since. He was HAPPY to find my cooler for a "measly" $850. DAYYYYUMMM! Nothing like winning and losing at the same time!

Oh well, both seller and buyer are happy ... and I suppose that's what it's all about. But still ....

If ya' see one'a these at a yard sale, (it's small, approx. 21" X 17" X 12"), snatch it up and send it to me. I'll pay the shipping plus the $3-$4 you'll prolly pay for it.

DSCN9053.JPG
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Ha, so you bought something for $10 and sold it for $850......yeah, I'd be really pizzed off, too.....NOT!!!!!!

You DO know how much KFC an $840 profit would buy, don't ya???

image.jpg
    Southern Gentleman

Whoa! So THAT'S what heaven looks like!
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) airbud7's Avatar
    That's a nice looking cooler Thumper

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Whoa! So THAT'S what heaven looks like!

Actually that's what hell looks like. Heaven would have mashed potatoes and gravy on the side with a big pile of biscuits
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"
    Albert Einstein

You don’t understand, QA. It’d have to be a family pack of sides.
    Been there, seen it, got the tee shirt.
    BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

well being paradise I would think there would be adequate sides to compliment the chicken
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"
    Albert Einstein

Prob. is, KFC’s taters and gravy are both major weenie suckers. Totally gross!

But the biscuits ain’t all that bad.

I don’t think I’ve eaten at a KFC since that one at Lesser Slave Lake with Jimbo, Tee Dub and Johnboy. They most definitely suck big green weenies.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    I thought it was just the KFC near me that sucked. It’s super convenient, but I swore them off a couple of years back after they sent me home with a soggy inedible mess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

We have a couple of local chicken places that serve pretty good yardbird. The Church’s and the KFC don’t do so good.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

KFC is amazingly good. I wonder and worry about you dufes.
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

Quote Originally Posted by LJ3 View Post
    KFC is amazingly good. I wonder and worry about you dufes.
    Agree LJ....Love me some KFC!

Aside of being overpriced, small portions and poor service, KFC is pretty awesome. You ought to try Xaxby's. They don't serve mashed potatoes or gravy and still call themselves a chicken joint.

Get outta here........
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by quercus alba View Post
    Aside of being overpriced, small portions and poor service, KFC is pretty awesome. You ought to try Xaxby's. They don't serve mashed potatoes or gravy and still call themselves a chicken joint.

Get outta here........
    Zaxby's is totally awesome!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Trav's Avatar
    I am a Popeyes guy.
    “ No kingdom can be secured otherwise than by arming the people. The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave”

James Burg, An Enquiry into, Public Errors, Defects and Abuses 1775

P-hole, TBH, I think Lesser Slave Lake was the last time I ever went to KFC. I’m with Q/A, great chicken, but price and service sucks ... at least around here. Like Trav, we like Popeyes. Also, our Golden Corral has great fried chicken.

Bojangles ain’t bad, they know how to cook a chicken.

RT, some of the best fried chicken you will find is at that IGA In Craigsville. It’s even better washed down with a Chelada.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Dinner View Post
    RT, some of the best fried chicken you will find is at that IGA In Craigsville. It’s even better washed down with a Chelada.

Agree on everything except the Chelada! Gross!

Quote Originally Posted by Arty View Post
    Agree on everything except the Chelada! Gross!
    You’ve gotta embrace the clam juice!