Thread: Talladega ....

Talladega ....

I've lost the lust I lived with most of my years and have only watched Daytona this year. I have no clue where ANYBODY stands in points and I doubt I could see 25% of the racers and know their names. Back in the day, I could probably name EVERY driver, tell you what car they were running and for most of them, tell you who their car owner was. NASCAR kept jacking around with the rules so much, I lost track a few years back. I have to assume today will still be the silly 3-race stages, who knows? It's been a while since Daytona and I don't even try to keep up. There's a whole new crowd of "younger" NASCAR fans now. I guess since they don't know the difference, all of this seems normal to them. I'm just an old dinosaur from the days when the best driver with the fastest car was declared the winner. Those days are long gone I'm afraid. And they've pretty much lost a life-long (up to this point) fan.

That said, I will watch Talladega. I have no clue who to pull for, so I'll just keep my tradition going. If your name is Earnhardt, I'll be pulling for you. I was a Ralph Earnhardt fan as a kid ... ever since we broke during practice and he gave us the part we needed to qualify and make the race. Dale and I were the same age and both of us used to run around the pits together. Of course, I was later a HUGE Dale E. fan and followed suit with Jr. Today? I guess I'll have to follow tradition and pull for Jeffery. He hasn't got a chance in Hell, but his name is Earnhardt, so he wins my vote. I'm sure one of the Penske boys will take today's race. Penske's pretty much unbeatable at Tallagega if nothing's really changed and "The Big One" doesn't take 'em out.

Oh well, I'm off to sit in front of the tube with a cold coke and a batch of boilt peanuts. I'll catch youse dufes after the race.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar
    Dude, In all seriousness , I’ve been telling you for years that Indycar has the best on track racing around right now.

They don’t have a bunch of gimmicks with the racing to make it “more entertaining” and they don’t have a “playoff” system that makes 2/3 or the races basically irrelevant.

They run the most diverse types of tracks in racing with temporary street circuits, permanent road courses, super- speedways, and short ovals.

Plus they have quite a few really talented American drivers in case you can’t root for a “furiner”, like Alexander Rossi, Josef Newgarden, Graham Rahal, Ryan Hunter-Reay, and Marco Andretti.

Too bad their season is over for this year though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."

Jim, does Jeffery drive for DEI?

BKb
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) airbud7's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DeputyDog View Post
    Dude, In all seriousness , I’ve been telling you for years that Indycar has the best on track racing around right now.
    Scott Dixon FTW! .....I wish they ran more races .......Real drivers are at Indy...(no pussys allowed)

Quote Originally Posted by BarryBobPosthole View Post
    Jim, does Jeffery drive for DEI? BKb
    No sir, I forgot who he races for. If I remember correctly, he runs with some part-time outfit from Canuckia. He’s just dipping his toes in the water to get his feet wet. I was surprised he even qualified. He’s already out of contention after a spin, but ya’ got’ta start somewhere.

Deppity, back in the day, we ran the Indy circuit, but I just never really caught the open wheeled car bug. I preferred the good ol’ “chrome horns” and fender banging.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post

Deppity, back in the day, we ran the Indy circuit, but I just never really caught the open wheeled car bug. I preferred the good ol’ “chrome horns” and fender banging.
    This isn’t “back in the day” anymore. You said yourself you didn’t really like to watch the NASCAR races anymore with all of the changes. I’m just saying give the Indycars another chance. I think you’re going to be surprised.

"Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."

Airbud, Dixon is unbelievable. He is third on the all time wins list behind a couple of guys you’ve probably heard of, AJ Foyt and Mario Andretti, and is second only to Foyt in the number of championships he’s won.

Like the Daytona 500 and Talladega, I always watch the Indy 500. I appreciate the technology, just can’t get heavy into the series. I guess it’s like hunting, once you get away from it, you don’t miss it all that much. I use the time to do other things and just rely on the memories. Maybe it’s part of retirement and pursuing other interests. Who knows?

Airbud, Dixon is unbelievable. He is third on the all time wins list behind a couple of guys you’ve probably heard of, AJ Foyt and Mario Andretti, and is second only to Foyt in the number of championships he’s won.
    Oh yea Bro!...I Know! .....I wish they ran every weekend though.

@Thumper....I joined here in 2013 and I remember a lot of fun summer days talkin s*** back and forth with y'all during nascar races...nascar brought me closer to you/y'all and for that I am proud.

With all that said...I agree...The new NASCAR sucks!

Heck I even love BarryBob!....Please don't tell that fucker though!...he might want a hug or some s*** like that!
    Last edited by airbud7; 10-14-2018 at 06:03 PM.

If you hug him, just don't squeeze too hard. He farts a lot!
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

So can anyone explain to me how a guy that hasn’t won a race in 4 years is a championship contender?

What a joke. No wonder they are losing fans.

I think one of the things they can do for stock car racing is to bring back a four or five race IROC series. Some old timers would race in those like Waltrip, possibly Junior, and so on. I always loved those races back in the day.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Quote Originally Posted by BarryBobPosthole View Post
    I think one of the things they can do for stock car racing is to bring back a four or five race IROC series. Some old timers would race in those like Waltrip, possibly Junior, and so on. I always loved those races back in the day.

BKB
    Now that sounds good Barry....I loved iroc too

So can anyone explain to me how a guy that hasn’t won a race in 4 years is a championship contender?

What a joke. No wonder they are losing fans.

Totally agree DD ....IndyCar just needs a longer series with more races! ...
    when the Lowe's Motor Speedway car leads every lap at Lowe's Motor Speedway all happening while we watch a Lowe's commercial and the Lowe's car leads every lap and breaks Earnhardt and Petty records ....

8 time champion headed your way bought-and-paid-for by.... Lowe's.... thank you for shopping with us,,,

mid-to-late 90s Jeff Gordon kick butt and there was nothing I could do about it ...The Boy Was Good, Hell He Was Great!

then the corporations started cheating and letting unmarked cars run as much as they want on the track to get track time therefore giving the fastest car to The Chosen driver.....Jimmie Johnson!

While I agree he is a great race car driver.....five championships in a row 2006 to 2010 was bought and paid for.

And that right there my friend was the end of NASCAR for me.

Dale jr. was my only hope....damn I wish his step-mom wouldn't have screwed him out of the Budweiser Contract!....greedy b****

damn I miss the old man.

Still hard for me to believe he was killed at 49....
    Last edited by airbud7; 10-14-2018 at 09:18 PM.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    Now, I know how you dufes feel about a baseball post....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Dinner View Post
    Now, I know how you dufes feel about a baseball post....

Word!
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Penguin's Avatar
    It's been a long time coming but you can see the fruits of decades of managing the sport as a business (and an extractive one at that) instead of as a sport.

You see the fruits in the empty grandstands each week. The lackluster (or outright dismal) TV ratings. And the exodus of so many of us hardcore fans or team members from the sport.

We could argue the "whys" and "hows" of when they crossed over to the dark side but those aren't as important as confirming that yes, they are headed downhill. And rebuilding the kind of rabid fanbase they had in the 70s and 80s won't be easy. I'm not sure it is even possible. In my opinion it is simply a situation where running racing as a sport required some things capitalism to take a back seat... or even take a hike. It never happened. Whenever a tradeoff was needed it was the sport that took the hit, never the wallet of the owners or sponsors.

Enough years of that and you have a sport that is as exciting to watch as two strangers playing a card game that you don't know the first thing about. It hurts me to say this TBH.

Will

Add to that the retirements of some of the sports biggest names.

The same thing happened to Indycar in the 90’s. They lost the likes of Foyt, Mario, the Unsers, Mears, and Rutherford. All of the big names of the 70’s and 80’s that built the sport.

NASCAR is going through that right now with losing Jr., Stewart, Gordon, etc.

Well said Penguin^

@DeputyDog I see what your saying about drivers retiring but Indy never change the rules so drastically?

500 miles is 500 miles so get there fast as you can!.... please don't stop the race unless you need a pitstop for gas/tires or for a bad wreck....nascar has innings like football Now!...WTH?

They lost me when they were no longer stock cars. And no I don’t think every part has to be stock, but its so ridiculous now all the effing drivers are basically racing the same car! (And yes I remember I said i loved IROC) Stock cars ought to have to run on street legal at least cars. I don’t have an issue with 800 hp engines but there ain’t all that many cars on the street with them. I’m only speaking for me, but I don’t need 200 mph racing to get excited about watchin it. It pught to be driver vs driver. It ought to be ford vs chebbie vs MOPAR vs toyota. What we have is a bunch of clone Sunday School drivers drivng clone fucking cars.

Take the restrictor plates out and restrict the speed by making them use more stock suspensions and chassis. Or make them all run chevy novas, I don’t care. But this is redongculous.
    BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Indycar changed their aerodynamic rules for this year and made the car harder to drive. It really made the driver more important. You couldn’t just keep it flat all of the time and have the car stick.

In my opinion, another reason for NASCAR’s slide is the rules package makes for side by side pack racing with no ability for any driver to pull away from the pack. It allowed for a Danica Patrick to be able to run with a Kyle Busch until she crashed out.

NASCAR has too long of races too. Not every race needs to be a 500 miler that takes three+ hours to run (before any overtime’s). People don’t have that long of attention span any longer.