Thread: October 17

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) johnboy's Avatar

October 17

Reefer Madness Day in Canada! Legal Weed Day. This should be an interesting experiment, for sure. Probably a good day to stay off the roads, I think, because a lot of folks who haven't fired up a ditch weed fatty since the 60's or 70's are gonna be a tad surprised by the 'new' weed. Not like Grandpaw used to smoke! Curious to see how this all works out.

Ha! Reminds me of when I first got to Thailand. I'd been smoking trash weed out of St. Louis. When I got to Thailand, I immediately hit the Thai Stick. About 1/2 joint later (shared with a buddy) I was flat on my ass and woke up with my buddy's girlfriend holding a wet towel on my forehead!

Have fun buddy!
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

My ex wife and I rolled a bomber out of the first thai stick I’d ever seen on New Years Eve 1976-77. Same deal. All I’d ever smoked was what we called Mexican Blue Dirt weed. LBs came in red cellophane and there was always a good bit of blue dirt in the bottom of the package.
    We only had to drive about thirty miles to get home. We had to stop and get a hotel.
    I think that stick was as strong as what we get these days.

Congrats John! I’m curious too how this will work out. Lots of eyes on you guys. Of course, when we do it, we’ll have to make sure and not learn from anyone else’s e perience. That’s what my state is doing rolling out medical weed here in Oklahoma.

BKb
    Viva Renaldo!

Pot was for all practical purposes, free in Thailand back in the day. If you were lazy, you could buy a stick ... which was dried, cleaned, cut and rolled around a bamboo stick. (Very small, about as big around as a bamboo skewer) The pot was held onto the stick with bamboo “threads” wound around the whole stick. The finished product was about as big around as your bird finger and maybe 10” long. A brick was 25 sticks bound together into a ... well, it looked like a brick! A brick of high quality Thai Stick was $2.50.

Well, you know, its a common plant. It ought to cost $2.50. Or whatever the market will bear. It only makes sense.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Ha! True dat! It's just a "weed", right?

I have old pics of a few bricks from my ... ummmm, "heavier" stoner days, but they're all on a floppy disk. I bought an external disk drive a while back, but I've just never taken the time to transfer anything over. Here's a pic of a few bricks (one broken down into sticks) of the good stuff! This was about $10 worth back then ... cut, cleaned of stems, seeds and trash, and bong ready!

thai-stick-weed.jpg

I can remember some great parties where we'd inevitably pop some Cheech & Chong vinyl onto the ol' turn-table! The killer was, after a party, my girlfriend would come in the next day and sweep the spilled pot up off the floor and probably dump a 1/4 pound of the stuff in the trash. Ohhhh the good ol' days!

(from the net)

What is Thai Stick?

Much like vinyl records and not bathing, Thai stick, a form of super potent Sativa-dominant weed that probably originated in Thailand, was very popular in the late 60’s and early 70’s. And Cheech was right, Thai Stick is weed tied to a stick. C’mon, man don’t you remember the classic scene from Up in Smoke where Cheech brags about all the weed he’s smoked: “I Smoked That Mechewachan…That Acopulco Gold…I’ve Even Smoked That Tied Stick.”

That "Tied Stick" always cracks me up!
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Well, we've got politicians from every level (PM to local) involved in this exercise and I'm pretty convinced that they will screw it up royally. Anytime you get more than 2 politicians involved in anything, you wind up with a clusterfuck. We had a pretty good system before where anyone who wanted weed could get it without much issue from any number of local Dispenseries. That will be gone and weed will now only be available from government licensed outlets which are few and far between. Step backward? Every municipality will have it's own rules about who, where, what etc. Mass confusion.

Anyway, it will be interesting (may you live in interesting times) to see what happens tomorrow. Glad I stocked up.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    One of the best lines I’ve heard, possibly from Posthole, applies to politicians. They could fuck up a wet dream.

Sounds a lot like our liquor stores in Virginia which are government run. They have limited hours, locations and selection at high prices. Across the river in DC and MD, they’re private and worth the effort to drive to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

You got it CD. One of my Dads favourites: Couldn't organize a pissup in a brewery.

Wow, they’ve really changed things up. I had read where Canada intended to sell it through retail beer and liquor stores.
    They really have crossed things up!
    I think the only reason states in the US have the dispensary model is that because it is still illegal federally it has to be a strictly cash business with no banking involvement.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

I knew johnboy had to be one of my flock to be as intelligent and thoughtful as he is.

I’ll see myself out.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) airbud7's Avatar
    Just don't ever smoke with Willie!

Man, I'd love to share a fatty with Willie!

Well they did it as expected. Took a perfectly good system that had been working well for years and pooched it completely. Cannabis is now legal in Canada, unfortunately you can't actually buy any. One store opened for the entire Province and all the local Dispenseries closed. Mail order takes weeks. What a colossal fuckup. Why oh why do we let governments into any retail business?