Well, it looks like another mass shooting has made the news. California this time. I just read an article about the mother of one of the victims going on a rant demanding gun control. My sympathies go out to her as well as ALL the victims and families.

That said, wtf IS "gun control" anyway? I'm not sure I really know. Does that mean BANNING all guns? Or what it infers ... tight regulation? I'm not really sure. I've lived in California and they have some of the most restrictive gun control laws in the country. The shooter the other night used a legally purchased gun ... BUT ... he used extended mags in that gun. He's 28 years old and extended mags were banned in California 18 years ago. I doubt he bought them when he was 10. Did that restriction work? Nope. Just like the old NRA cliche', "If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns." How many felons are arrested carrying a gun? There's a law against felons possessing guns. Does THAT restriction work? I honestly don't know what the answer is.

I remember back in the 90's my Russian friend (Yuri) came to the States for a visit. I took him to a large gun store in Tampa and his eyes were as big as saucers! He was like a kid in a candy store! I asked him about gun ownership in Russia and he said civilians were not allowed to own handguns and the only people with them are law enforcement, the military and criminals. (his exact words) There are allowances for "some" hunting rifles, but I'm not sure what those restrictions are. That conversation reminded me of the quote I made above (If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns) and Russia is a prime example. When I visited Russia, I ran across the Russian Mafia almost every day I was there. They practically own some of the cities there ... much like the gangs here in certain areas of Chicago ... but on a much grander scale. There were two instances where I almost became personally involved with the Mafia while there and was extremely lucky in one instance as I was stopped before I went too far. (they were beating a woman and I ALMOST got involved before being pulled away) It was during my "learning process" in Moscow, but that's a whole 'nuther story.

Now that I've started writing, I've realized I don't even know the real point of my post. I guess I'm simply looking for an answer, but I'm not so sure there is one. It reminds me of another NRA cliche', "Guns don't kill people, PEOPLE kill people." I suppose that has some truth to it, but we can't ban people! I'm thinking maybe there IS no real answer.