Thread: RIP Silver Fox

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar

RIP Silver Fox

David Pearson, arguably the best NASCAR driver ever, has passed away at 83.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Penguin's Avatar
    He was, honestly, about the most talented and cerebral of the drivers of that era. And that is saying a lot. I never met him but always wanted to. He was quite a nice man by all accounts.

Will

I saw a stat where he won 105 of the 574 races he started in NASCAR’s top series. I think that is the second highest winning percentage in NASCAR’s history.

"Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."

I hadn’t heard that. A legend for sure. I probably saw him most often in the late 70s. One of the greats back when the sport was great.

RIP

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

This is a tweet from Mario Andretti. High praise indeed.....

We lost another racing icon. David Pearson was tough, tenacious and in my opinion one of the top five #NASCAR drivers of all time. Feel so privileged to have raced against him. #RIPDavid

I use to pull for that 21 car back when they were really racing real cars.
    He always seemed to be so professional.
    RIP
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

I remember meeting him when I went with my dad to visit Ray Fox and Pearson was there with him. I was just a kid and don't remember much about him, but I knew ALL the racer's names and what they drove back then.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    I use to pull for that 21 car back when they were really racing real cars.
    I was a fan also Cappy and it was during the 70's when Pearson was driving. I was a huge Wood Brothers fan and Pearson did a great job for them during the 70's. I was in Beautiful S.E. Asia '71-'75 and I had a buddy there who was also a dyed in the wool 21 car fan. I remember how bummed we were that we never knew how the races went until we could find it in print someplace.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Penguin's Avatar
    I can sympathize Jim. I remember listening to Barney Hall and Eli Gold as a kid and being thrilled when ESPN would pick up a race.... seems like so long ago.

Larke is right, it has changed. And there was a price for that change. I don't think people today would believe the intensity of the fans back then. I don't know that even European soccer teams have that kind of support. No other US sport had it. Now none of them do. This coming from a major league college football fan.

Ah well. You take the good with the bad. At least now I can watch cross country skiing and biathlon. I like that.

But those rivalries. Allison and Petty. Petty and Pearson. Yarborough and Allison. The personalities. Coo Coo Marlin. Dave Marcus and his wing tip shoes. And will there ever be another Benny Parsons? That was a golden age and I'm glad I got to see it.

Will

Will

Yep Willie, what’s worse is, I remember when the only NASCAR racing I could see on TV was a 20-minute (INCLUDING commercials) segment on Wide World of Sports. What was worse, it was always a week AFTER the race was run. It was like knowing how a suspense movie ends before going to see it.