Thread: Okay, guys, I need some advice.......

Okay, guys, I need some advice.......

About a month ago, while hunting with Sandy, I noticed she was not hunting any further away from me, than about 50 yards, instead of her normal 250 to 300 yards, and she would return to me constantly, as if getting her bearings.....also, she has reduced her hunting gait from a good run to just a steady walk.
    I took her to my vet, and he said she has the onset of cataracts, and simply can't see her surroundings, only blurred images.....she can only find her feed bowl by smell, and she's getting worse.....as is, her hunting days are finished.
    Do I try the cataract surgery, or just let her live out the rest of her life in the dark.....I'm leaning toward surgery on only one eye, for now, if it is totally successful, and only if she has no other underlying physical problems.
    Sandy is only a little over 10 years old, so she's got a few good years remaining, except for the cataracts.
    What ya'll think???
    Southern Gentleman

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Trav's Avatar
    My neighbor had a miniature schnauzer that had cataracts and they did the surgery on it and it’s been great for them.
    “ No kingdom can be secured otherwise than by arming the people. The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave”

James Burg, An Enquiry into, Public Errors, Defects and Abuses 1775

Trav, both eyes or only one???
    Southern Gentleman

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) airbud7's Avatar
    dog cataract surgery success rate is approximately 90%. Most dogs regain near normal vision, although many remain slightly far sighted. Most pets’ vision continues to improve over the week following surgery.

https://www.caninejournal.com/dog-ca...-surgery-cost/

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Trav's Avatar
    I am pretty sure it was both eyes, it cost them close to $10k
    “ No kingdom can be secured otherwise than by arming the people. The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave”

James Burg, An Enquiry into, Public Errors, Defects and Abuses 1775

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    Dogs are the best people you'll ever be around and worth any price. If I have have to drive down to Mississippi because you let her go blind, I'll boot you so hard you'll be digging your fingers out of your butt crack every time you scratch your head.
    Last edited by quercus alba; 12-09-2018 at 10:56 PM.
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"
    Albert Einstein

Wow, I guess Sandy is getting a good deal.....$3500 for both eyes or $1750 for one.....pretty sure I'm gonna just do one for now, to see how Sandy responds to it.....if the results are dramatic, then I'll start selling some more blood.

QA, thanks, for the support.....you're definitely helping me make the right decision.
    Last edited by Big Muddy; 12-09-2018 at 11:37 PM.
    Southern Gentleman

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    If she’s going blind without the surgery, I’d just have them both done now. It seems like a failed surgery is the same thing as doing nothing. So, why out her through it twice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

CD, the surgery itself is not traumatic to the dog, at all.....the owner, however, is the one who has to do all the tough stuff, afterwards.....6 weeks of keeping her still and inactive, while she wears one of those Elizabethan collars, daily meds and eye drops, etc. is gonna be h3ll, but I'll do it for her.
    Southern Gentleman

If it were me I’d do both eyes, no question. And she’ll likely have a lot of hunting days left afterward too, Muddy.
    Best of luck to the both of you.
    BKb
    Viva Renaldo!

I’m just shocked you said she was 10 years old. I remember when you got that pup!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Bwana's Avatar
    Glad you are getting another chance with her.

My Dixie Dog only made it a few months past 10 years old...sure do miss her.