Thread: Smithey Cast Iron

Smithey Cast Iron

Has anybody used Smithey cast iron? Man its spendy. $140 bucks for a #10 pan.

Kribbs prolly sees them for $2.

If you do send me some!

BKb
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    Never heard of it. I’ve seen Finex out there, but it’s equally spendy. At those prices, I would just buy vintage pans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

I follow a few C.I. collector sites and it seems a couple years ago, a few U.S.A. located start-ups jumped into manufacturing cast iron using the "old school" methods, mostly thinner, lighter units with machined cooking surfaces. I carry four names (there may be more out there now) in my wallet in case I run across any at my estate sales. These are Smithey, Finex, Marquette and Stargazer. So far, I've never seen any of them in the field. The blogs are like any others, Remington vs. Ruger vs. Winchester ... or Ford vs. Chevy vs. Mopar type stuff. There is also the divide between collectors and users. Collectors go for the Griz and other more desirable pieces, while the "users" go for the vintage Lodge and Wagner type pieces. The smartest users go for the vintage unmarked pieces as they are simply vintage Lodge (for example) pieces, without the markings, which may have been sold through hardware stores and the like. Like Chix, the bloggers can't see the reason for paying the high prices for the new stuff vs. simply finding vintage unmarked pieces for pennies on the dollar (comparatively), if you're simply looking to cook with it.

That said, I had a blow-out sale a while back, but my stash has piled up again and I'm getting ready for another one after the holidays. My initial plan was to get into restoring old iron, but I just don't have the drive, interest, time or patience needed. I now sell all of my pieces in "as found" condition other than cleaning 'em up a bit and oiling 'em down to keep the rust away.

Here's most of my stash as it sits today (I may have a few pieces around here that have become separated from the pile). These are prolly 98% Griz and vintage Wagner Ware.

(Click on the pic to enlarge)

castiron2.jpg
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Thump - send me your eBay info and let me know when you put that stuff up.

Heck, if there's anything particular that you're interested in, just let me know and I'll dig through the pile to see if I have it. There's no reason for anybody here to screw around with ebay.

Since you asked. I’ve been poking around for something between a #10 and # 12 skillet. (Larger is better.) While i love the collectors stuff, I’m not willing to pay those prices unless I was buying it at an estate sale myself. Older is better and unmarked Lodge is fine. (Pre “made in USA” is even better.). Sits mostly flat and no cracks is a must. I don’t mind doing the rehab myself. Almost prefer it.

Having a busy day today, plus have to get a haircut. We have Christmas parties to attend two nights this week (tonight and tomorrow night), then heading to the beach for 5-days on Friday morning, so I'm slammed right now. I might get a little time this afternoon or possibly tomorrow and post it here if I find anything that will fit the bill. Do you have to have a lid? Are you looking for a standard skillet? Or a (deep) chicken fryer type skillet? By bigger, do you mean #10 - #12 or bigger? I very seldom buy unmarked pieces, but I might have a couple in the pile.

No rush at all. Ideally, a #12 Skillet. I don’t need a lid and have a chicken fryer. Thanks.