Thread: Mr. C. Dinner .... you around today?

Mr. C. Dinner .... you around today?

Just before Christmas you said you were looking for a #12 cast iron skillet as a user and not a collectible ... possibly a Lodge or unmarked piece. I just dug through my pile of CI and I only have the pricier, collectible stuff. I have a few #12 and larger, but they have lids and I wouldn't want to separate them since you said you don't need a lidded skillet. I did find ONE skillet that may interest you. It's made by Camp Chef, which is owned by Vista Outdoor.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vista_Outdoor

I didn't purchase it. I was at a sale one day and an older woman wanted to buy a sofa, but had no way of getting it home. I overheard the conversation and offered to take the sofa to her house for her, although I wouldn't be able to get it into her house by myself. She said her neighbor has teenage sons who can do that for her. I got it home for her and as we chatted about the sale, I told her I went there specifically for a cast iron skillet I'd seen in the pics, but someone beat me to it. She tried to pay me for delivering her sofa, but I turned it down. Then she said, "Hold on, I'll be right back!"

She returned with a cast iron skillet and asked me to take it. She said it was a gift, but it's way too heavy for her to cook with as she can barely lift it. It's nothing special, but it is kinda cool if you're just looking for a user skillet. It's a Lewis & Clark commemorative piece which I don't believe is available anymore. I'm not positive, but I don't think it's ever been used. It may have been a wall-hanger, who knows?

If interested, let me know. I'd dump this pos .... errr, I mean, let you have this wonderful treasure for $15 + shipping if you want it.

DSCN9421.JPG DSCN9423.JPG DSCN9424.JPG
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

If he ain’t I know somebody who is!

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    Barry, if you want that skillet go for it. I’m really looking for a “user” and I’d feel sort of funny cooking with a commemorative pan like that. (Jim, It is a helluva a price and I’ll take it if Barry doesn’t want it.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Well, I guess P-hole wants it. Don't get me wrong, this skillet is not a heavily sought after pan. Camp Chef makes all sorts of modern camping equipment. I'm sure they have them made in China. That said, I've read a lot of good reviews on it. I mostly deal with collectors and they have no interest in this sort of stuff. It MIGHT be collectible in another hunnert years or so.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Hombre's Avatar
    If you ever come across a hammer dutch oven I would be in

I assume you’re talking about a hammered surface? I sold two of them 6-8 months ago! One was cast iron and brought pretty good money. The other was chrome and didn’t bring squat (comparatively). Both were Griswolds. I’ll keep an eye out for one, but I rarely find them.

CD, check your Tapatalk texts. I have a nice unmarked, vintage #14 Lodge here (no lid). It’s a monster and even the unmarked version brings pretty decent money. I’m not sure it’s the budget skillet you’re looking for, but I figured I’d put it out here before I list it. If interested, I’ll take a few pics.

Man, this thread got me thinking about cast iron prices. I thought they were crazy a couple of years ago. This 20” Griswold that hangs in the kitchen at my hunt camp and is considered by some yo be the Holy Grail. I priced it on EBay (asking prices which could be different from actual sales prices) a couple of years ago and then again today. Good lord!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) HideHunter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hombre View Post
    If you ever come across a hammer dutch oven I would be in
    My grandmother had a chrome one.. I tried to run it down, but no one seems to know where it went. I tried repeatedly to buy this one from a friend.. She finally gave in and gave it to me as a gift..

P1030838.JPG
    Last edited by HideHunter; 01-15-2019 at 03:10 PM.
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

I love that hammered look in a DO

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Hombre's Avatar
    That is the exact one I want HH, looks like it cooks pretty well too