Thread: I'll admit it ... I'm a dumbass.

I'll admit it ... I'm a dumbass.

One other thing I keep an eye out for at estate sales is old axes or hatchets. Many are pretty much worthless from a collector standpoint, but if they have a maker's mark and can be identified, there's a huge collector's market out there. I can find an axe in almost any garage, but there's a lot of newer Chinese stuff out there as well as some which just aren't worth the effort. But, I'll grab most any vintage axe with maker's marks. I've probably sold 50 axe heads over the years and the sellers haven't discovered there's a market for them, so I usually pay in the $3-$5 range when I find one. The best deal I made was a Swedish head I bought for $3 and it sold for close to $200! I say "head" because I learned long ago that shipping a complete axe with the handle would usually yield less profit than simply shipping the head only. (heads fit in a small, Priority Mail Flat Rate box). I have a woodpile of old axe and hatchet handles in the garage that I've cut off at the head. It's just a habit I've been in for quite some time and I figure most buyers would prefer mounting a new handle anyway. I buy an axe, cut off the handle, clean up the head with the wire wheel on my grinder, take it into my office and research it's history, determine a price, then list it for sale.

Well, I sold one a few days ago and am kicking myself in the ass for being so frigging stupid. I bought it for $3 at a sale then brought it home and did my usual routine ... cut, clean, research, sell. It turned out to be a hard piece to find on the net and sales were VERY few. That can mean two things, either it's undesirable and gets no attention, or it's very rare and there's not a ton of info or reference material. This one happened to be the latter. It tuned out to be a WWII issued axe that would be mounted on a Jeep. I listed the head for $87.50 and it sold immediately. (whenever that happens, I figure I under-priced it ... that's when an auction probably would have been a better choice)

Well, after chatting with the buyer, he said it's too bad the axe didn't have the original handle as he'd have happily paid $200 for the whole thing! He said the original handles are a bit different and described the differences to me. ARRRGGGGHHHH! The one I cut off was an original!! Who'da thunk it? I really thought it was a replacement handle since it was in almost pristine condition and would have looked brand new with some minor clean-up. He then told me how rare the handles are and he was lucky enough to find one about 5 years ago that he paid $85 for (handle only). He said the collectors will scramble for an original and they're rare as hen's teeth.

Needless to say, I've changed my routine. It's now - Buy - Research - "Maybe cut the handle off" - Price - Sell.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

When I read about the pile of handles, I figured this story was going to end like it did!
    Putz !

I can't come up with a viable excuse. I AM a putz.

Nimrod.

bkB
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    “There’s nothing like a good piece of history.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) jb's Avatar
    Send him the handle and a bottle of Elmer's along with an invoice for $100, maybe there are two putz's in the world.
    The older I get, the better I was. I also forget my password and have to have Len reset it for me

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Penguin's Avatar
    Hmmm.... I would guess that at least some of the interest is because of all of the "bushcraft" stuff you see people interested in. And they do like the Swedish/Nordish brands.

I don't even own an axe, you believe that? A hatchet, a chainsaw, and a splitting maul. That's it. And I honestly think I may wear out the splitting maul before I hang up my work gloves. I've had it since Pop turned it over to me as a 12/13 year old sapling.

Will

Quote Originally Posted by jb View Post
    Send him the handle and a bottle of Elmer's along with an invoice for $100, maybe there are two putz's in the world.
    Bubba, I'm sure that was said with tongue-in-cheek, but I actually thought about that if he was simply going to display it and not use it. Problem is, I busted up the end of the handle to give the head a clean eye.

DSCN9330.JPG DSCN9329.JPG

Here is the one the Air force gave me in ‘77 when we were doing site surveys all over the underside of the dick shaped state that is Florida.

It has no markings and I have gotten quite a bit of goody out of it in all these years.

The handle is just fine thank you. The Air Force doesn’t mess around with its Tommyhawks.

Is it worth a million dollars Thump?

BKB

5974B66B-7FC9-4E2B-9226-BB0AD400627B.jpg
    Viva Renaldo!