I’ve had them ‘cooked’ in lime juice aboard a dive boat and had them in restaurants in St Lucia. Just about every divemaster on a Caribbean dive will carry a hawaiian sling and a bag to carry the fish on every dive these days. And on a lot of islands they hold lionfish roundups and tourneys a few times a year as well.
Personally, I wouldn’t touch one to clean it. One divemaster told me she got hit on her index finger once and it hurt like the dickens for two weeks.
I asked her if she thought they were making a difference. Yes, for sure at the dive sites. But when you compare that to the miles of open ocean there isn’t much we could do to stop them.

St Lucia is where I’ve seen the most concerted efforts and they are on most restaurant menus.

Orange roughy they are not though.

And on edit, I did run across an interesting approach to the problem. The divemasters on Placencia are ‘training’ the moray eels at the dive sites to eat them. That mainly entails arrowing one with a sling and then disemboweling it right in front of where they know morays are. I’ve watched them feed two of them and that eel ate them like there were no spines at all. This probably violates any number of rules about wildlife, but it didn’t bother me none. I hope they eat them all the way back to the Pacific Ocean.