Thread: What do you do

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master

What do you do

on those mornings when you wake up at 3:00 am and can't go back to sleep? I wonder if it's an age thing?

Here recently I've been going to bed around 11 and getting up about 4 hours later wide awake. Is this what I've got to look forward to in retirement, up at 3 am every morning drinking coffee and surfing the net? Sex is out of the question that time of day, a fella could get bit just casually mentioning something like that. There doesn't seem to be any new authors that write anything that interest me and I get bored with tv in a couple of hours. Here lately, I've been fixing me a cup of instant and listening to gospel music turned down low. That helps a lot.

Does anyone else have this problem? How do you fill the time?
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"
    Albert Einstein

Have you tried meditation?

I fantasize about sex.......is that the same thing?
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"
    Albert Einstein

That has been my sleep pattern all my life. I always considered 5 hours as "sleeping in". Even as a kid, I'd get frustrated on weekends or summer vacation because I'd be up and rarin' to go, but nobody else was up. Even in elementary school, I'd be up waiting for the newspaper to arrive (around 5:00-5:30 am) and read the whole paper before school. Weird, but we didn't have internet and video games, etc. back then. Heck, the ol' 2-channels black & white tv didn't come on until 6 am or so! If I ever took a nap during the day, I was totally FUBAR and knew I wouldn't sleep a wink that night. I finally hooked up with a new kid who'd just moved into the neighborhood. We were both 7-years old, had the same interests and the same sleep patterns. When we'd wake up at 3:00-4:00 am, we'd go fishing. (We MANY times "camped out" in my back yard) Our neighborhood in Orlando had three good fishing lakes all within a few blocks, so walking was no problem. He lived on one of those lakes, I was 1-block away from our favorite lake, and a block and a half away from that one was another lake.

It just so happens, he's the same buddy who hits the estate sales with me now. He has to leave his house around 5:30 am every estate sale day in order to get here to ride along. Friends for 60 years and we still get up before the roosters.

NOTE: There were some nights when I just couldn't sleep AT ALL! It can be a bit miserable. A few years back I did a sleep study and they put me on a CPAP due to a severe case of sleep apnea. (I now sleep about the same hours, maybe a little longer), but the sleep is QUALITY sleep. Plus, Lynn will no longer let me go to sleep without it since she doesn't have to put up with my snoring.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Penguin's Avatar
    I'm not a short sleeper like Jim. And I rarely have trouble sleeping through the night.... although if I feed the fire in the wee hours the dog sometimes jumps up in the bed and keeps me awake for a while with all her face licking and whatnot.

But although rare it does ~sometimes~ happens. You know what I've found? It usually coincides with times where I have not been physically active for a few days. Get me to the gym, or splitting firewood, or any number of other forms of exercise and I'm a sleeping fool through the night. I've no idea if this is would help you out, for all I know you could be training for a marathon now.

Will

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) jb's Avatar
    Same problem, been that way for years. I go to bed around 10, sleep hard for 4 hours, then lay awake for another 4, then sleep off and on for another 1 1/2 hours. At my age, a 1/2 hour nap just after lunch is a great thing, in the summer it's done outside in my hammock , winter in my recliner.
    My Doctor says it's fairly normal, been tested, don't need a CPAP
    The older I get, the better I was. I also forget my password and have to have Len reset it for me

I’m with Chilly Willy. I sleep soundly about 7 hours per night. In bed about 11 and up at 5:30 or 6:00. Like clockwork. I might get up once to pee. I do admit that I hit the walleye whistle a couple of times before bed every night, and that helps get me to sleep but exercize is the key to quality sleep for me. I typically walk or ride an exercize bike three or four days a week and that does the trick. Because we are doing a two week dive trip this year I’ve been doing strength training with weight four days a week to get ready and it has really helped a lot with the sleep.

From listening to my old classmates on FB at my age if you don’t have insomnia, I guess you have to consider yourself lucky.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) HideHunter's Avatar
    Wow.. thought it was just me.. I have rolled over and looked at the clock and seen 3:33 so many times it's not even a coincidence any more. I use to lay there and try to go back to sleep for an hour - mind going 100 mile per. I've finally given up and flip on the tv. Like jb.. I sometimes doze again.. just about the time I'm thinking about getting up..
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

I stay awake for about 2 hours then doze off about 20 minutes before the alarm goes off. Rest of the day I feel like I've been et by a pack of coyotes then puked back up. better off to stay awake
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by quercus alba View Post
    I stay awake for about 2 hours then doze off about 20 minutes before the alarm goes off. Rest of the day I feel like I've been et by a pack of coyotes then puked back up. better off to stay awake
    I believe the saying goes ‘et by a wolf and shat off a cliff’

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Quote Originally Posted by quercus alba View Post
    I believe the saying goes ‘et by a wolf and shat off a cliff’

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

we don't have cliffs in southern Arkansas but we have plenty of coyotes so we have to make do
    Albert Einstein

Didn’t you move over by Milwood Lake? Why haven’t we seen any fishing reports?

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Didn’t you move over by Milwood Lake? Why haven’t we seen any fishing reports?

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

My job keeps me hopping, apparently I’m the most important person in the county, I can’t even get my vacation days off.

They better get all they want of me in the next five months cause I’ll be outta there. I’ll convert that two hours of driving time every day into two hours of fishing time and honeydo’s
    Albert Einstein

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    I’m pretty much in the same boat as you other old farts. I can’t even remember the last time I wasn’t already awake for 1-2 hours when my alarm goes off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) johnboy's Avatar
    Same same for both the missus and myself. Wide awake at 3-4am with all kindsa crap running through my head. She gets up and reads or whatever. I try to get back to sleep and doze off just in time to wake up again, part way through a sleep cycle and feeling like crap. Probably better to just get up in the first place. Is this an old fart thing?

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Hombre's Avatar
    Yep up early every morning and really struggle to sleep past 5 hours. On the weekends I get out and take a drive and most days a small hike with the dog. Weekdays aren't so bad because i have plenty to keep me busy.