Dang it! The Lenster got me thinkin' about the food in NOLA. When Lynn and I travel, we normally have a list of places we want to eat. Of course, we've hit all the well known places where every tourist normally goes, but we also like the "joints" that are off the beaten path. Our all-time favorite in New Orleans is Willie Mae's (Scotch House - it started out as a bar MANY years ago). It ain't much to look at, but it belongs on your "must do before you die" list IMHO. Now, when I say "off the beaten path" ... this place really is. It's also in a rather seedy part of town and is in an extremely "dark" neighborhood, ifyouknowwhatImeanandIthinkthatyoudo. Here's the joint before opening time.

williemaes5.jpg

Trust me, you will be missing a real treat if you ever go to NOLA and not grow a set of balls big enough to visit Willie Mae's for some of her kick-ass fried chicken! One bite and it'll make ya' slap yo' mama! These pics were taken one year before Willie Mae passed away, but her great granddaughter is now running the place and nothing has really changed as far as the food is concerned. My go-to order is fried chicken, fried okra and red beans 'n rice. Larrupin! Expect a line, but ya' know what's weird? There ain't nobody in that line but white folks! Odd. (here's an example)

williemaes.jpg

Now, when you get there, the door may be closed to preserve the a/c inside, but somebody will step out to get you when a table opens up. If you don't know what to do, there's a sign at the door to direct you! Short and to the point.

williemaes2.JPG

So, here's Lynn holding our spot in line. (Trust me, it's worth the wait)

williemaes3.jpg

Here's a pic of Willie Mae and her great granddaughter, Kerry. I'm sure Willie Mae is smiling down at Kerry for sticking with the secret family recipe.

williemaes4.jpeg

Now, after eating at Willie Mae's, we headed back to the French Market to stop at Cafe du Monde (on Decatur Street) for some beignets. If'n ya' ain't been there for their beignets, dude ... you ain't tasted heaven!

beignets.jpg