Ha ha ha! I know I'll get laughed at here!

Me? I'd go for the .308 I know, it's "old school", but I have odd ideas on what I like about certain calibers. My favorite rifle cartridge is the good ol', tried and true 30.06 I've many times told people I like it because of the vast array of bullets available. I believe you can take down any big game animal in North America with an ought-6 ... or a frigging prarie dog! AND, you can find ammo ANYPLACE. I like the practical approach and have no desire for exotic calibers, plus I don't do any reloading. That philosophy paid off for me one bear season in Canada. I traveled from California to Northern Ontario for a bear hunt one year and the last leg was on some little rubber band driven plane that took me to my final destination (or closest city with an airport anyway), Timmins Ontario Canada. From there I'd head out by truck to a small fish camp on Horwood Lake where I'd rent a boat and head something like 17 miles to a small island cabin for a couple weeks of bear hunting and Walleye fishing. Well, when I arrived at Timmins, my luggage was nowhere to be found. Here I had no change of clothes, but worst of all, no gun or ammo! When I got to the cabin, my buddy was there waiting for me and I told him of my plight. He said he just happened to bring a spare rifle (a Remington 700 in 30.06!), THEN he realized he'd forgotten to bring ammo for it (his shooter was a .308). Crap! I went back to the fish camp and they had four choices of ammo on the shelf. 12 ga. bird shot, .22LR, .308 and 30.06! If I'd had any other caliber but .308 or 30.06, I'd have been facing a wasted day getting back to town to track down some ammo.

I like to have availability when it comes to ammo and don't particularly care for "exotics" or uncommon cartridges (NOT that most of those are all that uncommon). But that's just me. I can be a bit of a dinosaur at times ... but a PRACTICAL one.