Thread: Some of JB’s Luck

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Trav's Avatar

Some of JB’s Luck

So I won a new rifle last night but I don’t know much about the caliber. It’s a Christensen Arms Ridgeline in 6.5-284 Norma.

I bought $200 in tickets and I think this thing is about a $2,000 rifle.

5DD3300A-8A34-4553-B4FA-9A645DC85415.jpg
    “ No kingdom can be secured otherwise than by arming the people. The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave”

James Burg, An Enquiry into, Public Errors, Defects and Abuses 1775

Ok I need some help, just found out I can pick between the following calibers 300Win, 300RUM, 7mmMag, 308Win, 26Nos, 6.5CR, 7mm-08,
    “ No kingdom can be secured otherwise than by arming the people. The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave”

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) airbud7's Avatar
    7mm Magnum.....just in case you want to go elephant hunting.....
    Last edited by airbud7; 03-07-2019 at 01:50 PM.

Whichever one makes you feel like you're well endowed I'll just keep killin' stuff with my ought6.
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Big Skyz's Avatar
    You can't really go wrong with any of those calibers including the one you initially thought it was. About the only one that will elicit a yawn from a few folks is the .308 Win. It's a good caliber just the slow-poke of the choices you listed.

Ha ha ha! I know I'll get laughed at here!

Me? I'd go for the .308 I know, it's "old school", but I have odd ideas on what I like about certain calibers. My favorite rifle cartridge is the good ol', tried and true 30.06 I've many times told people I like it because of the vast array of bullets available. I believe you can take down any big game animal in North America with an ought-6 ... or a frigging prarie dog! AND, you can find ammo ANYPLACE. I like the practical approach and have no desire for exotic calibers, plus I don't do any reloading. That philosophy paid off for me one bear season in Canada. I traveled from California to Northern Ontario for a bear hunt one year and the last leg was on some little rubber band driven plane that took me to my final destination (or closest city with an airport anyway), Timmins Ontario Canada. From there I'd head out by truck to a small fish camp on Horwood Lake where I'd rent a boat and head something like 17 miles to a small island cabin for a couple weeks of bear hunting and Walleye fishing. Well, when I arrived at Timmins, my luggage was nowhere to be found. Here I had no change of clothes, but worst of all, no gun or ammo! When I got to the cabin, my buddy was there waiting for me and I told him of my plight. He said he just happened to bring a spare rifle (a Remington 700 in 30.06!), THEN he realized he'd forgotten to bring ammo for it (his shooter was a .308). Crap! I went back to the fish camp and they had four choices of ammo on the shelf. 12 ga. bird shot, .22LR, .308 and 30.06! If I'd had any other caliber but .308 or 30.06, I'd have been facing a wasted day getting back to town to track down some ammo.

I like to have availability when it comes to ammo and don't particularly care for "exotics" or uncommon cartridges (NOT that most of those are all that uncommon). But that's just me. I can be a bit of a dinosaur at times ... but a PRACTICAL one.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    A lot depends on what else you’ve got. It seems like the 6.5 Creedmoor is hit right now. I might go for that or the 7mm-08 as that’s an I Tech I’ve been wanting to scratch lately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

If memory serves me, you already have some big bore guns... I’d go 6.5 creed

This is what I currently have in what I would consider big game calibers 30.06 (2), 25.05 (2), .257whby Mag, .270wsm, 300whby Mag, .308 (2), .270, 7mm Mag, 6.5-300whby Mag. There might be 1 or 2 I missed.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) jb's Avatar
    That's a nice win, just name it Bubba and you'll do OK with it.
    With what you already have in the safe I'd go with either the 7mm-08 or the 6.5 Creedmore.
    My 7-08 was my favorite deer rifle, it's taken Antelope, Caribou, Mule Deer and Whitetail, then #3 found out how nice it shoots and it's now in his safe. I replace it with a custom 308.
    I think Bawana 's wife shoots one too.
    The Creedmore is todays flavor of the month, lots of good press on this round and similar 6.5 bullets, but I really like the 7-08
    The older I get, the better I was. I also forget my password and have to have Len reset it for me

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) airbud7's Avatar
    neat little video

While I liked the couple of 7mm08's I've had I never totally fell in love with them. In fact my last 7mm08 I had rebuilt into a fully custom made rifle chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor. No regrets the Creedmoor is an absolute pleasure to shoot. Very accurate, low recoil, and kills stuff dead. As I get older I appreciate less recoil more and more. Out of all the calibers you listed that you own the only two I haven't owned are the 6.5 Weatherby and the 270WSM. Not that I wouldn't have wanted to own either, but by the time they came out I was over my magnum rifle phase and I don't see me ever going back to it.

I decided on the 6.5 Creedmore and will post some pics when it comes in.

Nice thing 'bout the .308 and the 30-06 is ammo is generally available and you need it.

I see Flatlander and I think alike. I guess it all depends on whether you’re hunting or shooting.

You know that always available argument used to be really valid. However I can honestly say that in my lifetime I've never had an issue where I didn't have ammo for a hunt. When hunting was my passion I traveled a pretty fair bit and never once did I come up short on ammo or a lack of a firearm to use. Trav you'll love that 6.5 Creed.. There is a reason it's popular. After the first three shots from the bench you will know why. ��

You know one of my .308’s is a Browning BLR and I always wanted one of those but I honestly am not impressed with the way at shoots. It is a beautiful gun though that is for sure.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Bwana's Avatar
    The 6.5 sure is popular these days but not sure it differs much from the 7-08 which I continue to be impressed with.

Congrats Trav!

I know just the scope you need!

I traded one of those Weatherby Vanguard I bought for $249 (thanks Big Sky) for a brand new Burris Veracity 3-15x50mm w/30mm tube to put on the the new 6.5CR.

Here she is
    EA0735AA-4385-49AC-90B4-3221B072C315.jpg

That is one great looking rifle!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    That should be a good combo, Trav.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Nice!
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain